2007 MB screen takes time to full brightness?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by .JahJahwarrior., Apr 12, 2010.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I use my laptop mostly in clamshell mode at home, but take it out perhaps once a week for work away from home. Recently, it seems that the screen is very dim, but mostly in the middle, and within a few minutes, it warms up to full brightness.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the light wearing out, or is it just because I don't use it much? Why would it not light up uniformly immediately?

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

It's probably the backlight wearing out. It is a fluorescent light, (like a low energy lightbulb). Over time they get dimmer. They also take quite a while to get going, 10-30 seconds. I am not sure if they get slower to get going over time, but it seems possible.

I don't think it is because you are not using your computer enough.

My 2006 Macbook backlight does take quite a long time to get going, and is definitely dimmer than it was. However the backlights can last many years:- I have a 2001 (?) iMac where the backlight is still fine, just quite dim.

So I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your computer, it's just getting old - like all of us :(