2007 MBP 2.2Ghz - Does it have the Nvidia Logic Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Hello everybody. :)

I've been searching through the archives and apparently Apple had a recall on the Nvidia 8600 logic board? How would I know if my MBP has that logic board? The symptoms I'm having are a blurred grainy display with very fuzzy fonts. Overall, it looks like the resolution has gone extremely coarse. Sometimes the desktop will be a tan color during boot-up instead of the normal blue. However, the computer still boots up fine other than the terrible display issues. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

h00ligan, thank you sir. :)

I went into System Profiler like you said and it says:

"Graphic Displays: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"

I could barely read it though because the fonts are extremely fuzzy and the resolution has gone to hell.

4. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Solution=Go to Apple store. Ending=the end.

5. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheFarmer, thank you for replying. :)

I've got an appointment to see the genius tomorrow evening. I'm hoping the computer is within the 4 year limit to qualify for the NVIDIA recall. I've been trying all day to log into the powerbookmedic site so that I can punch in the serial number, but their site has been down all day. :(

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/mac-service.php

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Let us know how it goes. I hope they take care of you. Otherwise come here and talk the darkest shame you can about them.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Haha yeah. Do this. But also, go into System Preferences and change the resolution to the highest available. It may not be a defective GPU issue. It may just be a resolution issue. I am just covering all the bases to try to avoid a (possibly unnecessary) trip to the Apple Store...

8. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaDogg, I wish it were that simple. ;)

It's always been set at its 1440x900 resolution.

9. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

1440x900 is hot.

10. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update:

The MPB is at the Apple store getting a new logic board. The Genius said he changed some numbers around in the store's system to make the MBP eligible for the Nvidia recall. I have no idea what he's talking about, but he said he's doing me a one time favor. :confused:

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Wha...? From Apple's site:

"If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

and

"These computers were manufactured between approximately May 2007 and September 2008".

Since all of these machines are still within the 4-year window (since the first ones will drop out in May 2011), there should be no tinkering with numbers required.

12. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nermal, I already had that paper printed out and handed it to the Genius. He said Apple is not obligated to do the repair, but he was going to do it as a "one time favor." I swear, every time I walk into an Apple store, I feel like I need to get down on my hands and knees and kiss the Genius's feet. :confused:

13. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Merkava, sorry! I had. Bain fart that your screen was illegible...durr.

15. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I just got mine back from repair today. This past weekend I opened the computer from sleep about 20 minutes after using it previously. Black screen and nothing doing. My 3 yrs of applecare expired in October.

Apple support guy was great on the phone. I told him what tests I'd done and he said, "great, let's jump to getting it in here. Almost assuredly the GPU." He did have trouble getting it processed at first because my computer was out of the standard applecare window. He said he had to fiddle around for the system to accept it as a covered repair. Maybe that's what happened to the OP.

edit: seems like OP's experiences overall are more frustrating. Sorry to see that. My interactions with Apple support have been consistently positive--over the phone and at the genius bar.

16. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! That's precisely what happened! The whole time the Genius was fiddling around with the system, he was like an enormous glorified God and I was like this tiny little ant standing way down on the floor looking up at the God and begging him to take my machine in for repair.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

is it in native resolution? Should be 1440x900 if it's the 15"

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

He said it was in post 8. Apple is repairing it under the gpu extended warranty. The immediate issue is resolved.

Cheers,