2007 MBP... application(s) freeze, mouse moves, screen flickers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diehldun, Nov 17, 2010.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I have a 2007 2.2Ghz "Santa Rosa" MBP, which I've had quite the problems with for the past 3 (soon to be 4) years. Just starting this week, if I'm on Safari or iChat for instance, Mac OS X freezes and everything stops... yet the mouse cursor can still move. Very soon, the screen starts flashing black and white over the frozen screen (with Safari, iChat, or whatever still open and visible behind the intense flickering). This flickering only goes on for a few seconds though; but the system remains frozen, requiring a manual shut-down and reboot.

Any ideas what's going on? It just started recently. Software has been completely up to date. Somehow I'm paranoid that the graphics card issue is coming back to haunt me again (I've had it replaced once already) but it doesn't seem like that's it.

Would appreciate any thoughts. I was planning to ride this machine out and get a new MBP next summer, but the way things are looking I may have to speed up the replacement time.

2. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

I'm running the same machine as you - no issues with display flickering or graphics card, but my trackpad is very wonky (doesn't recognize movement half the time), processor gets winded easily, etc. I ordered a new 15" i7 - it arrived this afternoon.

It looks like there might be a speed bump / processor update in Q1 / Spring 2011; if I were you I'd go ahead and buy. If there is an update, and you need whatever the new machine offers, you can always sell on eBay and recuperate 90% of the machine's value.

3. jahames macrumors newbie

Been having the same issue the last few days. Tried to VNC into my machine from my phone too with no change. Think it's a sign that my 2nd board is on its way out soon

4. Peaking macrumors newbie

i've had simialr issues in this economy do you play crysis?

5. Animalk macrumors 6502

I've seen these symptoms on a windows xp machine a couple years back. It was a failing video card :(

6. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh god. At least with the first graphics card, failure took about 3 years to happen. I had it replaced under AppleCare just a few months ago.

The symptoms (whatever they are) happened again a few minutes ago, requiring a restart as usual. I'm thinking of taking my machine into an Apple Store next week to see what the Genius says.

7. oliv89 macrumors newbie

Hi !

I have the exact same situation here with my MacBook Pro 2007. A year ago I got a new motherboard after the graphical chip died (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377), and I have the same freezes or hangs as you do now.
    The cursor still moves, but else works, the clock in the menu bar is frozen. The only help is a hard restart.
    Did you get any information from the AppleCare yet ?

Thanks !

8. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problems as the OP and I have the same 2.2 Santa Rosa MBP. Prior to my motherboard being replaced as part of the NVIDIA recall (blacked out screen), I never had a problem. After the mother board was replaced, I started having the frozen screen issue (mouse still moves but you can't click anything) described above. I have this issue about 2-4 times a month. I recently did an erase and install of Snow Leopard and the issue returned a week later, as has been typical. I've run TechTool Deluxe, Apple Hardware Test, and ran Verify Disk from Disk Utility, no issues found. Did anyone find a resolution to this issue? It's starting to drive me crazy.

9. Stillefansker macrumors newbie

Im having the exact same problem with the same machine, had a NVIDIA recall in August and now the freeze and flicker has begun. Begins to creep me out..:confused: