Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirCarrington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Newfoundland
I just got my 2007 MBP 15" out of storage and noticed that it's running hot under no load. it's floating around 36C at 6000RPM. It's much hotter if I let the fans do what they want to do.

I feel (IMO) a very little amount of air blowing out the back, it's even for both fans. I would have figured that 6000rpm would push a lot more air than I'm feeling.

Anyone care to comment on the amount of air their MacBook is pushing?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Try cleaning out the dust. But that temperature isn't even high at all for your system. It's rated for up to 105 Deg C.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Idling at 36C seems perfectly normal to me.

What does it idle at when you leave the fans alone? Probably not much lower.

My MBP was just at 39C while browsing the internet. I turned up my fans to max and got that down to 36C after a few minutes.

SirCarrington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Newfoundland
Browsing the internet at 2000rpm leads to temps between 70C and 80C.

I just reassembled it last night and it is perfectly clean. The fans and heat syncs have been blown out. The thermal paste has been cleaned up and reapplied.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012

I just reassembled it last night and it is perfectly clean. The fans and heat syncs have been blown out. The thermal paste has been cleaned up and reapplied.

That does seem kind of high, but internet browsing is also a little different today than it was in 2007. The amount of dynamic content you encounter today is way higher than it used to be, and I have to assume that if Flash started running (and/or HTML5 content) you could be putting a relatively significant load on the CPU.

Geekbench scores from the C2D MBPs of 2007 are in the 1100 range, which is just over 1/3 of the single-core scores from today's machines. That might be worth taking into account; Something that uses 10% single-core CPU time on today's chips would use 30% on the C2D machine. They're also far less power-efficient chips.

What are your actual idle temps with nothing running? That might give a better picture of what's going on.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Those are normal temps for that generation MBP, they ran much hotter than they do now back then. Source: I've owned one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.