2007 MBP SSD Upgade - Significant Fan Noise

Sully

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I just replaced my HHD with an SSD. As everyone has said, everything is much faster and the spinning balls are a thing of the past - at least so far.

The only issue I seem to be having is that the fans are running at 4,400 rpm. (edit: now they're over 5000 rpm) I've never noticed fan noise before and now it's pretty loud. Is there a way to fix this?

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Is Spotlight loading up your system? It may not need or be possible to fix it, can you see what is running using lots of CPU?

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
The fix is to add new silver paste under the CPU and the GPU. I just got mine back from the repair shop. It runs much cooler now. Before that, any type of YouTube video would send the fans into high speed after just a few minutes.

Sully

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Is Spotlight loading up your system? It may not need or be possible to fix it, can you see what is running using lots of CPU?

It's looking like that's exactly what it was. The fans kick on immediately when I'm in CPU intensive uses like Google Earth and then when I shut down the fans shut down. I guess I was being an alarmist.