2007 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mata.morrison, Jul 28, 2012.

1. mata.morrison macrumors newbie

Hi all, pretty new here so just finding my way really.

I have managed to get hold of a 2007 MBP 17" 2.4GHz, however I have been told it has a logic board issue so needs a new one. On top of that I am needing a battery, screws to fit the keyboard section back on and PSU/powerblock, is it worth my while spending a bit to get it up and running?

How much is one of these worth in working order? I don't have any Mac's and never have (Except Ipods, Ipad and Iphone) and would really like to give it a bash.

I also have a Powerbook G4 which I am also working on getting up and running... but thats in the other section.

Any help/pointing in hte right direction would be much appreciated!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sounds like it would be much more trouble and costly to fix than it is worth.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Search eBay for your logic board (same thing as a motherboard, just a different name). See how much they are, but they tend to be pretty expensive. The battery isn't cheap either. All in all I'd estimate it would cost you between $350 and $500 to get it up and running. How much you paid for it to begin with will determine whether or not it's worth it.

It should be noted that your machine IS fairly old, and it's unsure if you'll be able to run anything later than Mountain Lion (10.8, the latest OS) on it. I don't know how much that matters to you.

The PowerBook G4 isn't worth getting up and running unless you need an old Mac for certain software/nostalgia purposes. Leopard (10.5) is the latest OS it can run (most likely, if you have a REALLY old one 10.4, Tiger, will be the latest OS) and it will be slow. They're not terrible machines, but your MacBook Pro will be about 6-7 times faster, no joke.

The way I see it: cost out how much it will cost you to get your MBP up and running. See how much you could likely sell your PowerBook G4 for. See what MBP you can buy for that total cost. If it's faster than the MBP you have now, get that. If it's not, then fix your current MBP.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

4. mata.morrison thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks for the help! I actually got both for nothing ;) so really it's just the fixing up cost that will set me back. Good plan with the cost of both to pay for something newer, may have to look into that!

Well I'm going to try and borrow a power block for the Pro and see what happens from there, will get a hdd and ram installed which I have already and see what the result regarding the logic board.