2007 Model MacBook Pro not booting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anti-microsoft, Mar 8, 2009.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me with an issue my Dad is having with his MacBook Pro.

So today he shut the MacBook down, but when he switched it on again it booted fine, right through the chime and Apple logo, but when it got to the login screen it switched off. The power adaptor was connected.
    He has been having problems with the battery, with it not holding a charge. Do you think it has anything to with it?

Thanks for your help,

Ams.

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Try removing the battery and then powering up the machine.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

My recommendation would be to try to boot to the install disc ('C' with disc 1 inserted) or the hardware test ('D' with disc 1 inserted). See how long the MacBook Pro remains powered on when its not dependent on the system software. If it also shuts down there you're looking at a hardware issue more likely than not. Also remove the battery and just have it run off the adapter, see if that makes any difference. If you have not already try an SMC reset, do so, it sometimes fixes glitches like that. If it works fine on just the system disc, with/without the battery inserted you could also repair permissions, repair disk, or reinstall the OS, could be something buggy there.

4. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Take it to the nearest Apple Store and have the Genius(es) take a look. Most of time they will diagnose the problem for free, but repairs will cost money. That was the case with my Late 07 MacBook.

6. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

He took it to the Apple Store and they said it's he logic board that needs replacing, really expensive! In the end he's going t buy a new MacBook I think!

Ams.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

A logic board replacement would be $600, but there are ways to get it done for a lot lot lot cheaper, look for Apple resellers in your area.

8. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

It was a premium reseller he went to and they told him it was 600 pounds. Hw much cheaper can you get a logic board for the MBP?

Thanks,

Ams.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not much cheaper, from the looks of it. Even eBay looks to be around $500, and there isn't much selection.

10. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the help guys. I think he's going to go with one of the UniBody MacBooks, He'll not notice the downgrade that much because he only used it for email and surfing the web, plus the specs have gotten higher on the MacBook compared to before. Do you think it would be possible to sell the MBP on eBay?

Thanks,

Ams.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sure. I'd suggest selling individual parts rather than the whole thing as a unit "as-is". The display assembly alone ought to fetch $200+