2007 US Masters

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R.Youden, Apr 5, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I haven't seen anything on here so far regarding the 2007 US Masters.

Should be a great tournament this year. So far both Ernie Else and Phil Mickelson have poor starts. Tiger Woods is doing steady after 12 holes.

I think either J J Henry or Adam Scott could be good each way bets.

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

Being from the UK I'm glad to see Justin Rose has made a good start. Remains to be seen whether he can keep it going though or blow it like he did a few years back. I suspect he might not keep it going but fingers crossed!

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Yeah, I hope he keeps it up too. He looked to be playing great. Steady and controlled with no dropped shots which takes some doing on any course, let alone Augusta.

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

Going round and only taking 20 putts is a damn good round as well, especially given it's Augusta.

I'm not thinking much of Gary Lineker fronting the BBC coverage. He was reading from an A4 pad a little while ago which he dropped pretty quick when he realised he was on screen!

5. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Tiger but if he fails Ernie will get it done. Its time for him to break out.

6. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Ernie will need to do a lot of breaking! 78 today I think.

7. gavd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think Ernie is pretty much out of the running. It's hard to look much further than Tiger winning again, but he doesn't seem to be playing to quite his usual standard so far today.

8. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

That 2nd Tiger hit on 14 was poor. You could see him lean into it which changes the angle of his swing plane and causes a high cut.

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I had to leave the TV early. Oh well. I was hoping.

10. gavd macrumors 6502a

That shot was pretty poor as has some of his other play, but he seems to be playing some better stuff around the greens to scramble for his pars.

11. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've always liked Ernie as well and would have liked him to have been in contention. Hopefully he'll do himself justice tomorrow and put a good score up on the board.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's not looking good for Phil at the moment, 4+ F 76

Tiger even thru 14.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Tiger finishes +1 for the day. Phil's still okay and within striking distance as are most at +4 or better.

14. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Definetly hoping JJ Henry will get a win. I carried a score sign for his group at the Nissan Open a couple years back and he was a very nice guy: Introduced himself before the round, talked to me after, gave me a ball and even autographed it for me. I definetly think he's deserving of a major win.

15. gavd macrumors 6502a

I think the worst round any winner has had in the first round and gone on to win with is a +3 (75). Not to say that history can't be broken though...

We probably all expect Tiger to do better in the second round, and I think maybe Henrik Stenson could move up the leaderboard.

16. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Right. It was Craig Stadler back in '82 who came in +3 after the first round, and went on to win it. With it being a cold today as it is, anything can happen, yet. Somebone will make a charge. It'll be interesting to see who it is.

17. gavd macrumors 6502a

Seems I was pretty wrong when I thought Tiger would do better today. Looks like it's pretty tough out there again today although a couple of players are currently -4 for the day.

I see Rose hasn't got off to the best of starts bogeying the first, but hopefully he'll have another day like yesterday with the putter!

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Looks like after two rounds, the only charge being made is by the course, itself. 5-6 strokes is not all that big of a lead with two rounds to go. I do wish Player would have made the cut though.

19. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

What is going on out there?

I think everyone is trying to let Tiger win this tournament. I know the course isn't easy but some are just throwing it away big time.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Anyone who's ever played (or tried to play) golf in sub 50° F, windy weather, can appreciate just how cold the hands and extremities get and, along with that, loss of touch, etc. Added to that, it's Augusta with newly designed and more difficult holes. The greens are hard and fast with double breaks and slopes, surrounded by all kinds of traps, the fairways unforgiving with strategically placed water hazards to penalize those who go for the greens on longer holes and come short.

I doubt anyone is trying to give it to Tiger. Whoever comes out on top, today, takes it because they want it. It's exciting to see the crunched groupings all the way to +6 who have a chance at the green jacket, today. I like this Aussie, Appleby, too. I hope he does well and that it comes down to the wire. The old cliché holds true. The Masters doesn't begin 'til Sunday afternoon..

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's hard watching the players get so frustrated due to the weather. But, that's part of the game. It'll be fun watching after Easter dinner.

22. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Congratulations to Zach Johnson for winning the 2007 Masters.

But you have to admire Tiger Woods for coming in second considering his game was a bit off and the course conditions with its hard and fast greens and fairways wiped out just about all the big names except for Retief Goosen and Padraig Harrington. It's like the 1974 US Open at Winged Foot CC all over again....