2007WFP Dell or Acer AL2223Wd Black-Silver 22"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GopherGuy, May 17, 2007.

1. GopherGuy macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am going off to college this summer, and i was just wondering what you guys think about these two monitors. I am going to use the monitor with my macbook black, and mostly will use it for movies and basically just a bigger screen. I know one is a 20 inch monitor and the other is a 22" monitor, but i was just wondering on which one you guys would consider. Thanks!

Acer 22": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009102

Dell 20": http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688

2. moonzilla macrumors regular

I have the Dell 2007wfp and I upgraded to the 2407wfp for two reasons:

1. the 20.1" has a very slow response time. i believe it's something like 16ms, compared to the 24"s 5ms.

some users may not noticed a difference in performance. this varies depending upon type of usage.

2. the 20.1" doesn't have a component port. since i have two laptops (one dvi, one vga), i wanted a component port for my 360. the 24" does have a component input.

don't get me wrong. the dell is a wonderful monitor. i just found it had some deficiencies, but i suppose that'll be true with almost all lcds

i dont know what ports the acer has or doesn't have, but i was able to get the 2407 for $468 after finding a 20% off coupon on slickdeals.net. i would definitely cough up an extra $120-150 for more real estate + better performance

3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

how long ago did you use that coupon? i'm looking for a 2407 but can't locate a coupon for it.

4. munckee macrumors 65816

Careful, Dell makes two 20" widescreen LCD monitors. I believe the 2007FPW is the higher end of the two, and does come with multiple ports (as well as a built in USB hub. The cheaper version (I can't remember the model number) does not include the extras.

FWIW, I had a 2005FPW that served me extremely well. The only reason I got rid of it was that I picked up an older 23" ACD for a killer price.

5. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

If you don't need component, composite, or S-Video outputs -- and you don't care about the built-in USB hub (just buy a hub for $30 if you need extra ports), the
    Dell E207:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

is only $219 and it has 5ms response time. I'd get that before paying more than $100 more for the model with extra outputs and a USB hub (if you aren't connecting to anything more than DVI or VGA that is) but a much slower response time. Watching movies, it won't be a big deal - but if you are ever trying to work with a graphics program or play a game (low-level game, granted), it'll annoy you.

Also, Dell has student discounts -- so you can click on their education store to get the discount (it's something like 4 or 8%, depending on what warranty's you buy) -- you have to call to confirm your order, so I assume that's how they verify student status (but I know for a fact that an acceptance letter to school will be enough for them).

6. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

Keep in mind though, the e207 is not any close to the quality of the 2007