2008 Alu 2.4ghz C2D iMac SSD choice.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by farrance, Dec 16, 2011.

1. farrance, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

farrance macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I have the aformentioned iMac and the hard drive recently failed. I'm wanting to put an SSD in it seeing as I'm not giong to have any .mp3's on it for music as I use spotify.

I have a budget of £150 max, I'm looking for the insane SSD speed and reliability. I've no idea about the Sandforce/ other chip pro's and cons..

I just need/want an SSD for my Mac and I don't want it to break in the first 2 seconds :(

Help! :(

2. farrance thread starter macrumors newbie

3. icstoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

What sort of size are you looking for? I've got four OCZ Vertex 2's and a Vertex 3 running in various macs and haven't had any problems with them in the ~2years I've been running them. Some people report problems with these but I suspect it's no more of a lottery than opting for any manufacturer. According to other posts on here I think samsung and intel are popular choices in terms of reliability. You probably want to go with a model that has garbage collection built in (the Vertex 2 and 3 does, not sure about other manufacturers) as your mac will not support trim by default. For around £130 you can get a 120gb Vertex 2 or 128gb Samsung 470 looking on google. Bear in mind both of these will be roughly the same size once formatted ~110GB.

Hope that helps,

IC

PS - as you have SATA-II in your mac you're capped at 300mbps so there's no point going for the latest 'SATA-6' SSD's as you won't make use of the speed.

4. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I have an ocx agility 3 and it's great so far no problems at all.