2008 Alu MacBook (RAM upgrade)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BelgianThunder, Aug 10, 2012.

1. BelgianThunder macrumors newbie

I've got a MacBook Alumium 2008 and I'm running Mountain Lion on it. It runs perfect!
    Only problem I have, NOT concerning the OS X, is that I'm a Master student so I need a strong laptop (PS: I don't like Microsoft based pc's, due to bad experiences) so I'd like to upgrade my 2GB (2x1GB) RAM memory up to it's max. I'd hope for a 8GB RAM (2x4GB) but after contacting some Apple Premium Resellers who've told me that I can only go up to 4GB (2x2GB) for €100 (I live in Belgium). After spotting this forum, I've noticed some of you have the same MacBook as I do, with 8GB RAM memory, so it seems possible (See other MacBook 2008 Alu thread about OS X ML). My question is, IS IT? Because €200 is a lot of money for a non-working upgrade.

Thank you for reading, hope to get replies soon.

BelgianThunder

PS: What's the great advantage of a SSD?
    PS2: Where can I purchase memory?

2. simsaladimbamba

Officially that MacBook supports 4 GB, unofficially it supports 6 GB and if you update the Boot Rom you can use 8 GB, but some have reported an unstable OS.
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

As for where to get RAM, that is up to you and your knowledge of Belgian retailers, but you should get 4 GB RAM for less than 40 € and 6 or 8 GB for less than 50 €. Do you have a MediaMarkt or Saturn?

As for the advantage of an SSD: http://www.ehow.com/list_5990039_advantages-disadvantages-ssd-hard-drives_.html

They are fast, most applications open in less than five seconds, many even in only a second. Documents get opened faster and the Mac also boots faster.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

4. BelgianThunder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, did not expect such a fast reply.
    We have a MediaMarkt and even a Saturn, but I thought you needed a Apple memory card. Does it matter what brand it is from?

Anyway, thanks very much! I'll keep you posted if it's going to be 8GB. Kind of stupid not knowing what the max is. And I don't really want to buy a new one since this one is doing just fine!

5. duhmask macrumors newbie

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No such thing.
    You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

7. Mac-Rumours macrumors regular

I have also been using a 2008 aluminium MacBook with 8 GB of RAM for the last few months. I bought from Crucial for about £35. Part Number: CT2KIT51264BC1067

8. BelgianThunder thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked up that part on Crucial.com and MacSales (OWC) and both sites have it. only thing is, Crucial says it's not compatible with the Late 2008 MacBook and the OWC part (exactly the same specs) seem to be compatible.

Anyway, for me the Crucial is much cheaper (shipping charge) so I'll end up buying that one.

Thanks for giving me the Part Number otherwise I might've bought the wrong one ;-)

Thanks to all of you responding so fast!