Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Ok, I am still on the fence about my options, and I'm probably draining the Buying Advice thread's patience with my back and forth decisions.

I am again trying to narrow down my choices between my personal preference, the late 2008 Aluminum MacBook, and the previous MacBook Air, the 13.3" Rev. C; the tapered design.

The MacBook Air is currently a Refurb on Apple's website. It would come with a year warranty, which would be a big plus for going $100 over my decided budget of $750. Plus, I could decide later on to extend that warranty to 3 years.

However, I have searching ebay for the perfect late 2008 MacBook; the aluminum unibody one with 2.4ghz and the same backlit keyboard as the Air.

• The Air has a 1.86ghz processor compared to the 2.4 in the MacBook.
  • The Air has a 120gb HD compared to the 250gb or greater in the MacBook.
  • The Air has 2gb of ram compared to 2gb or more in the MacBook.
  • Both are the aluminum unibody I'm looking for.
  • Both have the backlit keyboard I want
  • Both have the Intel processor that is my big reason for upgrading.

I don't need the biggest, best, and fastest anything, but between these 2, which is the better choice?

*On ebay, I'd be gambling with a $750 MacBook with no warranty, or a year or so left as well, also adding in the fact that it's already 2 years old.

I'm so indecisive...

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
MBA with HD is a no go. Either extend your budget so you can get the SSD model or go with the MacBook. MBA uses 4200rpm iPod hard drive which is..well..painfully slow. You will notice the difference even in basic everyday usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.