2008 Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Killerbob, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have an older 2008 MBP, the one with a replacable battery, and have a question;

The recharge count says 1'300, and I know not to expect anything more from this battery, but it anyway is confusing to me what it does. When fully "recycled", Coconot Battery tells me it has only 1'450/25% battery left, and in a few minutes it reaches zero and begins telling me so. However, even after it tries to shut down, and I keep pressing a key until the MBP "forgets" that, it will work just fine for an hour more. What's going on?

I have tried ressetting various RAMs, take out the battery, etc., but it will still run for a long time past when the counters say there is no juice left.

/Bo

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your post is a bit confusing, but I'm assuming by "recharge count" you mean number of cycles and by "fully recycled" you mean "fully charged". I prefer using iStat Pro for tracking battery stats, since it doesn't have accuracy issues like coconutBattery and it also tracks much more than just battery.

You have two readings for your battery: your battery charge and your battery capacity. Your battery charge (the top percentage bar in coconutBattery) shows how much your battery is currently charged. The battery capacity shows what percentage of the original battery capacity remains. If you have a battery that has a capacity of 80%, that means it can hold, at maximum charge, 80% of what it used to hold as batter capacity.

As for what it shows as your current charge, that number changes minute-by-minute, depending on your current power demands. For a more detailed explanation, read the following link. To make your readings more accurate, calibrate your battery, using the instructions in the CALIBRATION section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

By Recycle I mean Calibrate!

After Calibration I get a Battery Health (iStat) / Current Capacity (Battery Health Monitor and Coconot) of 25%, and the battery can then hold a charge of 1'450 mAh.

It takes the MBP 25 minutes to go through that, but even after it reaches zero, I can force it to continue for about an hour - by pressing spacebar for 30 seconds, the laptop does not go to sleep.

/Bo

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With your capacity that low, I'm surprised it's very useful at all. It's definitely time for a new battery.

5. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I know the battery needs replacing, but am still wondering why all the battery utilities say 0 mAh / 0% and the darn thing goes on for another hour or so...

Bo

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because battery readings are only estimates, and not 100% accurate, even when the battery is calibrated.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You answered your own question, the battery is shot. My Rev 1.1 would shut down at ~65% when it was on its last legs.

8. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Through recycling/calibrating the battery two times these last three days, the "health" is now up to 70%, and that translates into 2:30 usage. I also reset the N and P-Ram (don't know if that made a difference, but some said so).

I will get a new battery, but I would like to wait for as long as possible. In Denmark that battery is USD175!

Bo

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

10. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a