2008 Black MB Battery Bulging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SpaceKitty, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I had noticed over the past few weeks that my trackpad button seemed to be somewhat broken. It worked still but it was very easy to press and didn't click and on the right side, didn't press down.

I turned over the computer today and noticed that the battery is bulging out on the side where the battery lock screw is. I took the battery out and now the track pad button works like it should. I'll leave it out till I can get a new one this weekend.

Anyone have any luck having Apple replacing the battery when this happens? Battery has 197 cycles and is at 96% health.

2. Bear macrumors G3

This is a sometimes situation for replacement. I'd contact them and tell them what the battery is doing. Also, let them know that the bulging battery was deforming the trackpad as well.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You need to just get A new battery. Apple will replace the battery only if the laptop is in warranty. A swelled battery is dangerous. Dispose of it immediately and order a new one.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA566LL/A?n=notebook_battery&fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&s=topSellers

4. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I was doing some reading and found out lots of people ended up just having to buy a new battery.

At least I know that my trackpad isn't breaking. I was so sad when I thought it was.

Thanks for the replies.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If you have an Apple Store nearby, it's worth bringing in to them. They replaced the swelling battery on my 2006 MacBook last year (well out of warranty), so if it's not too far out of your way, you may as well see if they'll replace it.

6. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It won't hurt to ask. I made an appointment for this weekend.