2008 Dodge Challenger

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Plymouthbreezer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Anyone else lusting after this car like I am...

[​IMG]

Seriously one of the best retro designs ever stamped out of American sheet metal. The design is maybe the best translation of an old design into a modern automobile. For 40K, this thing is a great deal when you take into account performance. :)

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Yes, I want one so badly to replace my 05 Accord :)

I like how they maintained the overall muscle car look, but kept it modern looking at the same time.

Good job Dodge :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'm not a fan of Muscle cars at all, but that is nice for the reasons stated above. Awesome looking machine. Now... If only it could go round corners.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Someone's going to shoot me for saying this, but I think it's fugly. So is the new Mustang and the new Camaro. These modern retro designs never look good.

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

The 08 Challenger, like many of the modern-retro designs lack something that I feel is very important on their antique counterparts: chrome. In the case of the Challenger, chrome door handles and chrome trim around the windows would, IMO, make the car look more classic while breaking up the car visually.

Any word on the powerplants for the Challenger? I would assume they will offer a hemi option at least.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is better attempt at least than the mustang or camaro. a lot better. and the charger 'remake' was horrible imo.

8. mondesi43 macrumors regular

I was hoping....

to see the debut commercial during the Super Bowl. I thought it was coming when the R8 commercial aired.

The best part will be if they keep the concept dash design. If I remember right it has a 1/4 mile and 0-60 timer on it. Hellloooooo traffic tickets.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I think it looks OK. I think it is missing the doors for the headlights though. Now if only they used this to create a new 'cuda I'd be happy.

TEG

10. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I love them. It looks much nicer than the Camaro concept does, even though we'll have to see what the final car does look like. I do not like the interior of this car however. It looks like it was pulled straight out of the Charger, and I have never been a fan of those interiors at all. I do hope this car can help Chrysler out of it's current rut. At the rate Chrysler is going, they won't be around for much longer! :eek:

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would never buy a dodge or a muscle car but I must say thats pretty retro looking. I hope that signifies a start towards getting away from that hideous overly aggressive and bloated look.

Good Job Dodge!

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Camaro>>>>>>>>> Challenger. The Camaro design actually is modern with retro flare. The Challenger is 99.99% identical to the 70's Challenger.

Attached Files:

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm glad they stuck more to the look of the original car with the challenger versus what they did with the charger. My Mom got a charger for my 20th birthday (at least, that's what she so kindly told me) and it is a great car, but I wish they had stuck with the old design like they've done with the challenger.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

16. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Nice, but it's American. I will never in my life buy an American car.

17. vixapphire macrumors 6502

there's some value there if you know what to look for but i guess it's not for everyone. the beauty is there are so many manufacturers on the market nowadays that there's a model of car for every taste.

as for the challenger, i'm with the guy decrying the charger-esque dash panel and steering wheel. they ruined the magnum srt8 wagon with the same lame interior as well. oh well.

18. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

The image pictured IS the final, production car. :D

The powerplant in the SRT-8 model is the 6.1L HEMI... A beast of an engine.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Just out of curiosity are you American? If so where are you from (if you don't mind telling me, of course)? I'm not trying to be defensive or anything, I was just curious of your vantage point.

I am American, from the Midwest. My family has raced cars since car racing has been around, as such American muscle cars are in my blood. Some people view cars for what they are, something that gets you from one place to another, but for others, myself included, its way more than that. This car to me is a piece of history, and if I had a spare 40k or so to drop, I would gladly snatch one up. Not as good as an original, but a bit more accessible :)

20. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Oops, I should clarified what i meant :D I was talking about the final product for the Camaro, which looks better by the hour to me. :cool:

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Man, and I'm shopping for hybrids! :D

I would love to own one for the weekends. The car just looks mean. A black one for me, thanks!

Oh, and:

[​IMG]

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the link.

so, 425 horsepower, not bad. but like someone else said, it is American. and nowadays, people expect to buy a car have nothing go wrong with it for at least 100,000 miles. American cars have the rep that they won't make it that far. that's why Toyota is doing so good in sales right now.

i'm american, and i drive a toyota. mainly b/c my dad had american cars his whole life, and had problems, and after buying a toyota, he didn't have those problems, or at least not near as many.

23. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

A great looking car. But as stated, I need a corner hugger.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

And yet we Mac users like to call ourselves open minded...... If a vehicle doesn't suit your taste, fine. I don't like Toyota's and don't ever see myself buying one. That is because I find them bland or ugly and boring to drive. But, not because it is Japanese. I like Honda's, but they just need to some decent low end power. But, I would consider the Civic Coupe and Accord Coupe. It is better for you as an INFORMED consumer to consider every vehicle. Regardless of if it is an import or domestic.

Also, from that post alone I take it you're very obsessed with image if you can say a product is nice, but because it is from such and such a place you won't buy it.

25. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Yeah you really can't base opinions on cars anymore since the american auto makes have made huge strides in the quality department. Other brands like Toyota have taken quite a tumbling in the latest quality polls lately. It definitely shows, the new models just aren't built with that well when comparing the cars of 10-15 years ago. So saying something to the effect of "I like it, but its American so I will never buy it" is simply not acceptable in this day and age.