2008 Fattest and Thinnest States

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cycocelica, Jul 3, 2008.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Fattest States 2008: The CalorieLab United States of Obesity Rankings

And, GO!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so in other words, things are only getting worse as people still don't eat healthy?

3. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Pretty much.:(

America's health and socioeconomic health decreases every year.

source - senior psych class

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Fat people need to stop making excuses about natural metabolism rates, stop eating candy, go out, and get some exercise. Some exceptions apply.

Source: My insensitive self.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

add another source: me. :p

6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

even the thinnest state has more than 55% of people classed as over weight.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Unbelievable. Well, I'm in the U.S., it's very believable. What I literally can't believe is the apathy towards the subject. It's become socially acceptable to be an unhealthy slob who can't move 100 feet at a brisk pace without panting and having "sit" down.

This isn't about weight-ism, this is about people who don't understand that being overweight is truly unhealthy. True, it is still their choice, but they do have to live with the consequences (getting charged for double on airplane seats, etc.). Seriously overweight people are the same as smokers in my eyes.

8. bamaworks macrumors 6502

9. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

It's all that fried chicken :D

10. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Stop consuming HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup). If any product has HFCS in the ingredients, DO NOT put it in your body. No. Matter. What. Same goes for any 'partially-hydrogenated' oils.

Stop buying high-calorie CRAP from the supermarket, especially cookies, snack foods, soft drinks (see HFCS, above), and prepared/frozen products.

I am so sick of seeing fat people waddling around, and ESPECIALLY fat children. That is child abuse.

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Where did you find that statistic? I found the map confusing. The fattest, Mississippi, is showing 31.6%. That's much less than 50%. So is the map just showing numbers of people that are considered obese? Where does it show numbers for people considered just to be overweight?

Yes. As well people should be consuming less carbohydrates in general. Ignore the FDA's imbecilic Food Pyramid, or whatever they call it now, and stop eating so much bread.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

take a look at the chart below the map. lists it there.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I must admit, I was in Denver for a week and I thought the city was fantastic!

15. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Agreed on all counts except cookies.

I quit drinking soda over a year ago and dropped like 20lbs. And if any of my kids get fat their asses are getting on a stair master. In all honesty, kids these days are lazy. my kids are allowed 2 hours a day to play video games or be on the computer- thats it. otherwise usually they are outside playing with friends or such. the only exception is my almost 3 month old which is either sleeping, sucking boob or pooping.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Getting off yer @ss every now and then helps too. The great thing about working out is you can "binge" occasionally on junk food and it doesn't matter 'cause you are going to burn it off anyway.

Lethal

17. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Just 'cause you can doesn't mean you should.;)
    @ OscarTheGrouch- I think it's good that you set limits on your kids games and computer time. They may not like it now, but they will probably appreciate it later. (God I sound like my father!:eek:) Sometimes I wish my parents made me do that...

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I wonder how European counties compare to these numbers. The only thing I could find for the UK was this from 2006.

The worrying thing on that page - "In 2002, the direct cost of treating obesity was estimated at between 45.8 and 49.0 million and between 945 million and 1,075 million for treating the consequences of obesity". Good to see my tax money being put to good use (double the numbers to get $US).

19. David G. macrumors 6502a

You're all going about this the wrong way. Of the 50 states Alaska is obviously the fattest and Rhode Island is the skinniest. This of course applies to longitude coordinates and overall size btw.

20. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

People should really learn to eat only as much as they work out. Seriousl, if u dont work out at all then dont eat much. Its simple.

21. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Went to America for a holiday way back in 1995. Never saw so many fat people in my life. I can't imagine how bad it must be now.
    What shocked me most was the type of fatness we're talking about here. Not just "normal" puffyness here and there... No... we're talking massive, protruding (at nearly 90 degree angles) rhino asses. :eek:
    It's becoming very easy spotting American tourists abroad. :D

Having said that, America's lapdog, the UK, is hard at work trying to catch up.

22. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Please, someone redeem those bottom 9 states for me! I'm not very familiar with them, so I'm asking honestly, I want to learn.

I only hear about the bad things that come out states like Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee. I hear about those states' high obesity rate, their poverty, their racism, their obnoxious blind folded fundamentalist Christians, etc. Please someone tell me about some of the GOOD things that have come out of those bottom 9 states within the past 30 years! They're whole states! Surely some great things must come out of them!

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Usually I say let them (me totally included) do what they do and just pay attention to your own personal problems. But...

Then I think it's time for you to go into hiding. :rolleyes: I'm quite certain there are a good number of people who aren't too pleased with people who make close-minded statements such as yours.

Now, as a self-proclaimed fat girl I can certainly tell you that medical exceptions aside, most, if not all overweight people certainly know what it takes to shed those pounds. Sure it is hard, but trust me when I say this, it's no more difficult to shed pounds than it is to carry the weight. When people who are overweight learn this I am sure they'll take care of their business. Maybe they won't, but again that is entirely up to them.

Until then, let the maps & charts, the comments, the voiced frustrations of the perfectly flawless people like our buddies above who have to actually walk this earth with other human beings who aren't nearly as awesome as they are casting a fat shadow on their perfect path of life, and the generalizations continue. It not only makes for good news on digg.com, but it makes for wonderful discussion on MR. ;)

I think I'm hungry, anyone want to join me for a double-double with extra cheese and fries with a large diet coke? :D

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I used to live in one of the leanest states. But moved to Virginia over a year ago. =(
    Yeah there are more fatties.

I have to say, at the similar price range, most food in restaurants in Virginia are greasier and have more calories compared to where I moved from. In addition, the groceries are more expensive and lower quality.

Well what it comes down to is eating right and exercise. No other tricks to it. There is no special diet that can help if you take in more calaries than you burn.

If you burn up the calaries you intake, then you don't get fat. If food has too much calorie and you don't exercise, you get fat.

Lack of nice weather in this area (about 1 week of spring, WTF) makes it less desirable to exercise outdoors.