2008 imac - 24 inch 2.8ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by numberforty1, Oct 31, 2012.

1. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

silly question.

i am in need of a new monitor power cord for my imac. can the apple store order something like this for me or am i stuck with ebay?

thank you!!!

2. RMo, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

By "monitor," I assume you mean the computer itself. Additionally, with a 2008 iMac, you're in the wrong forum as it's undoubtedly Intel and not PowerPC. (EDIT: Either this post got moved, or I thought I was in the PPC forum. Oh, well. :))

But in any case, you're probably in luck: while it's slightly decorated to conceal the plug, all iMacs take a "standard" IEC C13 cable (which plug into the standard C14 socket found in virtually all desktop computer power supplies, so if you see a cable labled something like "C13/C14," it's probably also good). You can buy one almost anywhere, or use one from an old PC (or monitor--virtually all of them also use this connector) you might happen to have.

But if you want an original Apple cable, Apple doesn't sell them online, and a cursory Web search seems to indicate that Apple phone support says they don't, either. Not sure about physical Apple stores, but knowing this other information, I wouldn't hold your breath. If you're afraid of eBay, try Amazon--there are several ones available, some of which claim to be OEM (i.e., Apple). But again, any standard cable will work as long as you don't mind the fact that it will lack the circular plate near the end of the cable to make it look pretty when it's plugged in.

3. numberforty1 thread starter macrumors 6502

numberforty1

My cat has made mince meat of my current cord so thats why i'm looking for a new one. i went with your suggestion and ordered one off of amazon.
    i appreciate your feedback, and excellent detailed info. Thank-you.
    :)