2008 iMac Corrupted HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HiTherePeople, Jun 10, 2012.

1. HiTherePeople macrumors newbie

Hey, I found a 2008 iMac at a local dump, It had everything including the original Mac OSX Leopard Discs (lucky find) :D The screen glass is smashed case had a little rust But the LCD works great. When I Start it up it comes up with a blank white screen. When I put the install disc in its DVD Drive is reading the disc in an endless loop with a blinking Folder that comes up every 60-secs and reverts to the :apple: logo over and over again. I think the HDD is corrupted, Is there any way I can fix it. I only have a 2003 Emac and a Windows 7 laptop. I have a Firewire cable if that would help.

2. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Start the mac with the install disk inserted.
    When you start the Mac press and hold the 'C' key until the Mac starts you will then be able to (hopefully) see the hard drive and be able to format it and then install the operating system.

3. HiTherePeople thread starter macrumors newbie

It just takes me to the Installation page. I go to utilites and select Disk Utility but I can't see the Hard Disk showing up The HDD Is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 (I opened it up and checked the wires) I think it might be busted completely. There is a Strange wire with black foam and a bit of metal looking stuff that is not connected? I don't see how it helps

4. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

There should only be two connectors to the drive (Power and Data).
    Does this thread help at all:-

See post number 9

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=751554

I remember this from my early days upgrading. being two scared to 'press too hard' on the connectors.

Make sure that the connections are firm both on the mac and the hard drive.

If this doesnt help. maybe scout about to find another hard drive. 250g or so to use as a boot then see if you can fit the Seagate one into an external housing for storage. after all it might be fun to see whats on it. :)

----------

Just out of interest, what gem of a Mac did you find?

5. HiTherePeople thread starter macrumors newbie

It's dead. Opened it up the writer and the disc are severely damaged. The previous owner must of let it fall over on it's back and it probably hit the HDD so hard it broke Thanks for your help anyways. I could probably take the 200GB Maxtor HDD out of my eMac it's the same size.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Same physical size perhaps, but a completely different connector. You'll have to get a newer drive.

7. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Still an excellent find if all you need to do is get a hard drive for it. Well done.

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Perhaps that's the thermometer.