2008 iMac dead, 2010 MBP (probably) next. Upgrade time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by surfer92, Nov 8, 2016.

1. surfer92 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My 2008 iMac finally failed me. Been a good 8 years haha. I have been using my 2010 MBP (2.4 ghz, 4 gb ram) and am wondering how much longer it'll last. So now I'm considering upgrading to a new MBP or MacBook Air. I don't like the new MacBook.

I really like the desktop feel, so this will be connected to an external display most of the time. I haven't figured out what kind of display yet but possibly a 34 inch ultrawide. As far as my usage, nothing all that intensive- browsing the Internet, YouTube, word processing, (Spotify maybe). I won't be editing video or pictures. I just want it to be snappy as my current MBP is a little laggy when performing normal tasks (copying and pasting to name one).

So I'm kind of at an impasse. Do I upgrade to 8gb ram for $50 even though my HDD is rpm? Is it even worth it to buy a MacBook Air anymore? Any help for this casual user is appreciated. Thanks.

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

Grab a 13" new MBP or the 2015 rMBP base model that they're still selling. Lots of power, will blow your 2010 out of the water.

Your 2010 probably won't even support a 34" ultrawide display and who knows how much life it has left in it so I don't think its worth spending the cash to upgrade the RAM or SSD in it.

3. Parsec macrumors member

My 2006 iMac still runs well, albeit slow. No longer get OS or security updates. That is what concerns me most at the moment. My 2007 MBP 17" still runs well, except for the battery.

I would probably go for the older 2015 MBP 13"