Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rojapa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I recently started having a problem with my 2008 24" Intel Core 2 Duo Imac and was hoping maybe someone on here might know what the source of the problem is. I have 4gb of RAM, and the stock 320 gb HD and have never had any problems until about a month ago or so.

Recently while watching movie files via Front Row whenever I watch about 30 minutes or so it will freeze and I have to let it "relax" for about 20 minutes before trying to go back to watching my video. It also occasionally will freeze (pinwheel) while doing simple tasks using the finder. For example, anytime I open the finder and click on my applications it will take about a minute before they load, again pinwheeling during this duration.

I work in video production and run FCP as well as After Effects without any problems whatsoever so this is all a bit perplexing to me.

I'm wondering if my hard drive is on it's way out or possibly the logic board/gpu are having issues due to heat? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

EDIT: Also, when copying files from my external hd using firewire 800 to my internal drive it will stop and stutter going from 16mb increments to 2mb increments, which is why I initially thought perhaps my HD is either about to fail or possibly overheating. I haven't tried to watch a video file straight from external hd so I suppose I will see how that goes. Thanks again, would really like to get this sorted out as this is my only machine at the moment and I use it heavily daily because so.

Last edited:

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
First ...Backup ...

Get an external HD and backup.

After that perform a system check.

I use Tech tool Pro, create an E drive, and perform a hardware check on the mac HD.

So far till now no issues, but pls Backup first...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.