2008 iMac purple screen and lines

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JonCosman, Jun 5, 2016.

?

How to fix purple lines 2008 iMac

1. hard drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. logic board

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. GPU

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Graphics card

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JonCosman macrumors newbie

JonCosman

Anyone know how to fix this? I am installing El Capitan and have a purple screen with occasional lines. I thought maybe its the graphics card? Logic Board? Any hep much appreciated. I tried SMC and PRAM reset. Some times the screen goes grey at install then just stops and doesn't go any further.

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd put my money on graphics card being faulty. Whether you can get a used working one at a cheap price to make the repair economically viable is another matter. Some of the prices on eBay for the GPU are more expensive than a used 2008 iMac ...

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If your 2008 iMac is a 20", you do have to replace the logic board because the GPU is not separately removable. So I checked off everything except hard drive (although replacing it with an SSD would be a good idea).

4. JonCosman thread starter macrumors newbie

JonCosman

Thanks guys I am pretty sure it is logic board. Before I make the final decision though I have heard if I replace the battery on the logic board it may fix purple screen issues. I also just tried swapping the HD and ram really quick with no result - Same purple screen and can only get into safe boot mode.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2016 ---
    Could anyone also confirm I need to get a whole new/used Logic Board, or can i get a new graphics card? When I open it up, it seems as though its all one piece. (Just guessing). Again Thanks for your replies!

5. tedc99 macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 24" and had a similar problem 3 years ago which was the graphics card. I was able to get a new graphics card installed at the Apple Store for $183 (US), price includes new card and installation. Still going after 3 more years (8 years total for this iMac).

6. stuartak macrumors member

stuartak

This may be a last resort but as your machine is old its unlikely to be cost effectively repairable , you could try "baking" the graphics (or logic board ) if not removable graphics card . look it up on Youtube , I have used this method on 4 Imacs of various vintage when all else failed and it worked on all of them , you will hear pundits saying you are "reflowing" the solder but I doubt that at the temps involved you are more likely doing something inside some of the IC's which whilst not a repair as such , has worked on all the machines I have done for at least 6 months , and as the alternative is the dumpster you have little to loose watch the video , you will need to remove the logic board to do this. Video is macbook but theory still holds.