2008 iMac vs. MacBook Pro 2008

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markturnip, Jan 3, 2009.

1. markturnip macrumors newbie

Hey! I've just got a late 2008 MacBook Pro this christmas, and previously had the mid 2008 iMac model (1066Mhz Bus) reason being I needed something portable at UNI.

I'm proposing to get rid of the iMac, so if anyone is interested around London, let me know.

Anyway, The iMac is the 2.66Ghz model with upgraded 4Gb of DDR2 Ram, this is 667Mhz of RAM rather than 800Mhz. Reason for this is that It's pulled from my old Mac. It also has the supplied 320GB drive, which I think is 5400rpm 8mb.

But I feel that my MacBook Pro is loads better, it's a 2.4Ghz with supplied 2GB DDR3 ram, with a 320GB 7200rpm 16mb drive.

Statistically shouldn't the iMac be better even though the memory speed is slightly lower than it should?

Just generally the MBPro seems faster and nicer to use, but I mainly use Photoshop & Illustrator amongst other programs such as After Effects.

Could it be to do with the iMac being cluttered with large files, and only having a small amount of hard drive space left? (30-50GB free on average)

Anyone agree or know any reasons why this should be?

Thanks!

Mark

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The RAM type is immaterial. The iMac also has a 7200 RPM hard drive.

In before maintenance programs and Repairing Disk Permissions.

3. markturnip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I often ran permission repairs, and the would often come back complete without having to correct any permissions...