Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hi, I noticed that some wavy horizontal lines that have some kind of up-down motion have appeared on my iMac screen. As I said I have a 2008 iMac with a 20-inch (1680 x 1050) display and a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB graphics card. The drivers are updated and I also tried changing the screen resolution and rebooting.

Has anyone experienced this before and is there a way to fix it?

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Was the computer recently moved or handled where there is a chance it could have gotten hit? I don't think it any software fixes could help so you're stuck with it. The only advice I have is to go to an Apple Store or Authorized Retailer for a quote on getting it fixed or for more insight into this problem. Hope this helps.

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Was the computer recently moved or handled where there is a chance it could have gotten hit?

Actually, I did moved it and noticed the lines about three weeks later. But I recall I didn't hit it, at least with enough force to damage anything (I think). But I did move it, maybe you are right and I damaged it despite trying to be careful.

Just to add a little more detail, the effect doesn't seem to exist when the color is pure white or black. And if I look closely I can see RGB colors in the lines.

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Actually, I did moved it and noticed the lines about three weeks later. But I recall I didn't hit it, at least with enough force to damage anything (I think). But I did move it, maybe you are right and I damaged it despite trying to be careful.

Just to add a little more detail, the effect doesn't seem to exist when the color is pure white or black. And if I look closely I can see RGB colors in the lines.

Ok. I would have thought that the lines would appear sooner after moving it but I guess that could happen. I'm not really sure what happened--the only thing I can suggest now is to go to an Authorized Service Center I guess for more insight or a quote on getting it fixed.

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Yeah, the thing is there are no apple stores in the country I live in, and there are no apple authorized stores too. So I would have to go a long way with it, probably to find out that I can't afford the fix.
Well then, for now it will stay like this because the computer is showing its age and in the next year or so I will probably have to replace it.
Thanks anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.