2008 iMac with spinning wheel problem, HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SamTheMan65, May 17, 2014.

1. SamTheMan65 macrumors newbie

I've been searching all day trying to figure out this problem. I have 2008 24" iMac 3.06 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo (snow leopard). This morning I was doing something and the iMac froze and I saw the infamous spinning wheel. After a while I had no choice but to hold down the power button and try a restart. Now all that I get is the spinning wheel of death at the beginning of start-up. I tried restarting holding the "Shift" key (no good). I tried restarting holding Alt, Command, P, R (no good). I'm a complete novice at trying to fix anything on a mac so some of the other suggestions I read about don't make a lot of sense. I have about 85% of the iMac backed up the an airport extreme and was about to do another backup and this happened. I really need the missing files. Any advice for someone who doesn't know a lot about these type of things? Many thanks!

ps - I have access to another mac for a while.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Connect your iMac to another working Mac via Target Disk Mode (by FireWire 800), and boot it up via TDM. Google up instructions for booting up a Mac via TDM.

3. SamTheMan65 thread starter macrumors newbie

yjchua95,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to google your answer. Honestly I have no idea what any of it means.