2008 Mac Pro 8x2.8 Graphics Card dies?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cybeross, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cybeross macrumors newbie

Anyone have experience with this?

After totally normal operation, I turned on the 'ol machine and the screen was black. At first I thought my monitor was gone, but hooked it up to my macbook and monitor worked perfectly, with multiple cables etc. It boots up fine and chimes and all that, display just reads: "no dvi input detected"

Anyone experience this? Did my graphics card just quit on me? Any other explanation or way to test this? The nearest apple store is far from here and I don't have a car, so I don't want to haul this brick unless I'm absolutely certain. All feedback/ experiences like this are appreciated!

btw, I'm pretty sure it was the standard option at the time, not quite sure what model...

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

sounds like 2600HD.

anyway check card, use canned air to blow clean from dust if there is any.
    but yes gpu's dying is not really unusual. sadly you will have to return the whole mac for them to check.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Very likely your card is torched. I've lost two of them (Nvidia 8800 GTs) in two separate Mac Pros 2008, one at home, the other at the office.

Video cards suck. Nvidia sucks. They fail at a very high rate, in my experience.

4. sp00 macrumors newbie

My 8800 GT just started to die on me. Greenscreen and freezing on startup, it looked like a heat issue. After replacing the thermal place, I was able to get to the desktop screen, but a few days later, it still freezes on me. Don't think Apple will replace this for free. Sucks, I can't believe I've upgrade to an 8800 GT card that lasted less than 2 years. Next card better come with a 3 year warrantee.