2008 Mac Pro and Cider games

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Have you heard that someone had made available the game Hitman on Mac with Cider. I guess it's really a smooth ride on the new mac pro. Have you heard of any other titles coming out soon?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Does it matter? Why not just use boot camp and run games natively...

3. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

I fear Windows. I just feel it's also complicated since you have to partition disks, "buy" a copy of windows, etc. Also, since you talk about boot camp, is the computer vulnerable to viruses as much as a window's PC when you are in Boot Camp or are you still pretty safe?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Windows is vulnerable to viruses if it's on. It doesn't matter where it is. It's GOING to happen. I use Boot Camp and just reinstall every month. I'll never pay for any Windows, and I'm too chicken to pirate it... and there's no "guy with halo" emoticon... :rolleyes:

5. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Too chicken to pirate it? Are they tracing people easily?

That's the reason I would prefer to stay on OSX instead of having to reinstall Vista or XP every month.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You could just, *gasp* purchase a copy...And yes, you can get viruses, but if you just use it for gaming, that would not be an issue. Just don't download iffy things online in windows or view p0rn.

7. Banacek macrumors 6502

If you're smart it isn't going to happen. Certainly you have more reason to worry than you would with OSX, but if you do your homework you can run XP for years without incident.

Vista, I have no idea about since I have not used it. And don't mistake this as a 'XP is the greatest' post, because I'm a switcher and I'm not going back. I just need to use XP for work and gaming.

8. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

We're a big proportion of switchers... that was 5 years ago for me. But if I was to go with boot camp, is Vista still a dodgy bet? Heard so many bad things when it came out.

9. aneks macrumors regular

been running windows since 3.1 and never had a significant virus problem. Have bootcamp on all my macs and frankly I never loose any sleep over it. There are many good free anti-virus/spyware resources out there. I only use windows to game and ocassionally to run 1 or 2 apps that need it.

Harden up, you'll be fine !

10. Banacek macrumors 6502

From the users I talk to they have made a lot of improvements and fixed a bunch of problems. My usual method of operation is to not use a MS OS until the first Service Pack comes out, which could be pretty soon.

11. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

(Napoleon Dynamite) -Are you taking any sweet jumps?

:) Any good games you are playing on your Mac Pro? Are they running pretty smoothly on Boot? I'm looking towards to get a version of Assassin's Creed in Feb. 29th with Boot Camp then. Any suggestion?

12. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Note: 64-bit Vista SP1 is said to have EFI support.
    I'm not sure how that will work out (or not) for
    Boot Camp, but it could be interesting.

13. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Just a side note.. in regards to Bootcamp, etc..

I had re-partitioned my HD a couple of times and gone through the bootcamp process more then once.. (don't ask)

Hard-Drive failed.. getting replaced.

In other words, don't repeat the process too many times.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Why would you blame boot camp? Partitioning a hard drive wouldn't make the hard drive fail. Let me guess, you installed windows every 30 days so you didn't need to buy?

15. Banacek macrumors 6502

All partitioning does is write to the MBR. It shouldn't break a hard drive.

16. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Haven't heard of Hitman coming to the Mac at all, ported or Cider-ized.

On the other hand EA has apparently annnounced Spore is coming to the Mac via Cider.

Of course Cider-ized games are not real Mac ports and any real Mac gamer wouldn't touch them. They're just PC games wrapped in a Cider interface and the windows API commands are being translated on the fly. Mac ports produce much better Mac games.

17. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Well... it's out unofficially if you look for it as well as Oblivion, Far Cry and GTA Vice City & San Andreas.