2008 Mac Pro Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VictoryHighway, Sep 9, 2014.

1. VictoryHighway macrumors member

VictoryHighway

Greetings,
    I have a 2008 Mac Pro which is having a weird audio problem. I have a set of amplified Klipsch speakers connected to the rear audio output of my Mac Pro. These speakers are analog, not optical.

Up until about a month ago or so, everything worked fine. Now, the rear audio output appears to not work. I've done some troubleshooting and I've discovered that the speakers are working OK (I connected them to another audio source and the speakers worked). I've also tried rebooting my computer into that *other* operating system *ahem*, and the rear audio output works when running that OS.

So, it appears that when I'm running OSX Mavericks (10.9.4) booted from my SSD, all of the sound outputs work except for the rear (or line) output. I've been planning on doing a nuke & pave when Yosemite comes out (since this machine has been upgraded all the way from Leopard).

Has anyone run into anything like this before? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to fix it? I've tried a permissions repair and even tried doing a reinstall of OS X from Internet Recovery and it didn't fix the problem.

Regards,
    Geoffrey

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Yes, I had the exact same problem. It started after installation of some media software apps I was trying out. I fixed it by using TimeMachine and rolling back a few days before installing said apps. I haven't had any problems since. That was several months ago.