Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mythlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
I just received my used 2008 8 Core Mac Pro, it's great and fast and all that. But, when I plug in my FireWire 800 G-Drive Q External HDD the computer becomes very unresponsive. Now, I had a similar problem on my iMac where when an HDD was plugged into the FireWire 400 port it would become unresponsive. I researched it and found a couple of things you could do too fix it. Like, reset the SMC. Am I experiencing the same thing with my Mac Pro? One last question, the Seagate Barracuda Drive that shipped with this machine ("Apple Branded") version are VERY loud during Read/Write sequences. Is this normal in that brand of drive? Because I have a WD Caviar Black right next to it and it's silent. All the drives are in a 4x Software RAID, and the only loud drives are the Seagate's. Their all 500GB 7200RPM 3Gb/s 32MB Cache Interal HDD's..
Are my drives going bad?

Thank You,
Mythlin
:apple:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If it is the single platter Seagate 500's (ST3500410AS) then most likely something is wrong as they are 3 times quieter than my Caviar Blacks.

Mythlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
If it is the single platter Seagate 500's (ST3500410AS) then most likely something is wrong as they are 3 times quieter than my Caviar Blacks.

Hmm, good question. It might be my WD that is noisy. But, it seems like it's the Caviar. I'll have to really listen to it with the panel off. And I can't just unplug one because their in a RAID. I wonder how I should go about doing this then..
Thanks for the help though!
Mythlin

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Just put your ear up close. If it is as annoying as claimed it should show itself. What models are you running anyway? Look in System Profiler so you don't hurt your neck:)

Mythlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Just put your ear up close. If it is as annoying as claimed it should show itself. What models are you running anyway? Look in System Profiler so you don't hurt your neck:)

Yeah, I'll have to try that. And I am running the "ST3500630AS P"

Thanks for the help!

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Those Seagate's are "a little" noisy. And pretty old at 7200.10 revision. But it all varies from Disk to Disk anyway. I know my Caviar 1TB is super noisy and I almost just ditched it but it is my Apple branded drive for my Mac Pro so it got slotted in the far back for occasional. Less annoying now. Good luck.

Mythlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Those Seagate's are "a little" noisy. And pretty old at 7200.10 revision. But it all varies from Disk to Disk anyway. I know my Caviar 1TB is super noisy and I almost just ditched it but it is my Apple branded drive for my Mac Pro so it got slotted in the far back for occasional. Less annoying now. Good luck.

Yeah, I could see a disk being a little noisy, but I mean, whatever disk is making the noise is audible from a across a large room. Kind of concerning. Well, thank's a lot for the help. I'll have to do some peeking around in my Mac Pro to see that the problem is.

Have a good day,
Mythlin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.