2008 Mac Pro "Clunk" on reboot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdiosVista, Nov 21, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

When I reboot, I hear an odd "clunk" that sounds like something in the front of the case. It occurs right the black screen at the beginning, before the screen turns grey and the apple logo appears. Anyone else experience this? If you don't know what I'm talking about, reboot and let me know if you hear anything like this. Thanks.

2. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

3. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

I just finished switching video cards tonight from a 2600 to 3870 and still the same noise. I want to say it's coming from the cd drive...? It's in that region.

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

If you reboot and the DVD drive is open, does it shut itself?

It might be trying to do that, even though it is already shut.

5. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

DVD drive is always shut, I haven't tried leaving it open. Do you guys have Mac Pros and are you not hearing this same clunk?

6. Mascat macrumors newbie

I've always heard that sound (I have 2 Pioneer DVR-112D's) and assumed it was the optical drives. I've never tried this but disconnect your optical drive(s) and reboot. Do you still hear that sound?

7. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

if you installed something yourself try uninstalling it

8. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I'll try figuring out how to disconnect the optical drive, they have it pretty well packed in there though.

9. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

It sound to me like it's your hard drive. It's often caused by the drive mechanism. Spinning up the plates in the hard drive.

10. Catch Them macrumors regular

I think its coming from the optical drive.
    mind sounds like a swooshing sound, (similar to how some of the 2007 MBPs slot loading drive made that noise upon start up and reboot)

i think thats all its doing. you can try removing your HDD to eliminate that.
    then remove the optical drive carrier, just unplug the Optical drive and try that and if it still makes a noise then maybe one of the fans its amiss.

11. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I'm nearly positive it is not the hard drives because I have moved those to the rear of the case and the noise is definitely from up front. From my experience, the "swooshing" sound is the hard drive spinning up but this is more of a "clunk" and it's only at the very start of a reboot.

12. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

are you going to bring it in?

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Have you even tried rebooting with the tray left open?

Try it and you will see :)

14. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

When I reboot with the tray open, the tray closes automatically at the same point that I usually hear the clunk. Is this the result you were looking for? Does this mean the clunk I always hear is just the system making sure the tray is closed?

15. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have a Mac Pro. No noise here...