[2008 mac pro] GFX card advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by paronga, Nov 19, 2011.

1. paronga macrumors member

paronga

So i finally got my 2008 dual 2.8 quad core.
    i love it.
    so much better than my 15'' 2006 mac book pro!!!

So here is the deal.
    I'm currently running a 23'' ACD.
    But i miss my webcam/speakers/mic that was build in to my laptop.
    So i'll be looking to upgrade to a 24'' LED cinema display.

But the GFX card only supports DVI displays.
    it's the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.

So for my to upgrade to the 24'' first i need to upgrade the card.

SO please, lend my your knowledge.

I know i ca get cards from apple, there is the 120gtx i think, and the 5570 and 5580 (trying to remember by heart, sorry if they're wrong).
    But i can also get other cards, correct?

So, i'll say what work i want to use this for, and we'll see what card get's recommended.

First, i haven't had a good computer for about 3 years, so if i'm going to get a graphics card, i'd like it to be capable of playing some games. Diablo 3 i'm looking at pretty hard. I don't need to be a beast, but i don't want to be disappointed. I don't mind if can't do ULTRA settings, but it want it to run.

second, i do heavy photo/video work. Now that i've got a new computer i'll be able to do much more exciting things without the slowdowns.

third, i'm a simulation physicist. i use MATLAB, mathematic, python and C for my simulations. I would like a card that supports either CUDA or OpenCL
    i know CUDA is an nvidia thing, so i don't mind ATI as long as i get openCL/Grand Central Dispatch.

I also want full support. I don't want a lack of boot screen, or dvd player not working.

So yeh. Also budget.
    don't want to spend $500 on this, something more like $200-$350.
    I see i can get some from the apple store, but if i can get a better card from e-bay or my local computer shop that will work, i would be happy!

Thanks guys
    i look forward to talking graphics cards with you!

2. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

End time: 20 Nov 2011 09:13:19 GMT

iPhone URL:
    Mac Nvidia GTX285 GTX 285 Mac Pro Video Card 2 Gig for DaVinci Resolve & Smoke

Browser URL:
    Mac Nvidia GTX285 GTX 285 Mac Pro Video Card 2 Gig for DaVinci Resolve & Smoke

This card is awesome. I have it for video work. Cuda 2gb..

Bit above your price... But there is a 1gb version ... Also add an ssd I have the same machine and it flys!

Apparently almost the fastest card you can get Barr the 4000 quadro.

3. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

I can vouch for the gtx285, it's a great card : )

4. paronga thread starter macrumors member

paronga

okay. so where do I buy this card from?

do I need the apple one, or do I flash it?

I see that you've still got a 8800gt in your mac. what's the benefit of having two cards?

5. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

In osx? Jack unless you need to run more than 2 screens, in win7 I have the 8800gt set up to do physix. Where do you get it? I'd say eBay these days, evga in the us had a bunch if them for real cheap, but they've gone..