2008 mac pro kernel panics when it wakes from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pkoch1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Every time my new mac pro wakes from sleep I get a kernel panic. I put in 2 more 1gb ram chips so I have the apple ram in slot 1 and owc ram in slot 2. I put a wd 750gb caviar hd in bay 2. Those are the only modifications I did to it. What could cause the kernel panics?

Thanks!

2. bigbird macrumors 6502

Do you mean you put the Apple RAM in Riser A (top card) in slots 1 & 2 and the new RAM in riser B (bottom card) in slots 1 & 2? If so, that's perfect. Do you see 4GB or RAM in your system profiler? If so then the RAM shouldn't be your problem.

3. pkoch1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I said it in a confusing way but yes, I did what you said. And system profiler says 4gb of ram. I know that ram problems can cause kernel panics so I wasn't sure. What else do you think it could be?

4. steeveage macrumors member

I agree that it could be your RAM. I bought OWC RAM a few years back and it kernel panicked my Powerbook. Removing the bad RAM fixed the problem.

5. bigbird macrumors 6502

It still may be bad RAM. I had that happen with my G4 iMac 800. I had a second aftermarket 512MB stick added. After the iMac would sleep during the night I would find it crashed with an error report on the screen. It turned out the RAM was bad. Try pulling the new RAM, using the machine with just the factory 2GB, and if the problem disappears you know it was the RAM.

6. MDangerous macrumors member

7. pkoch1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Yeah, I've done that before. It didn't fix the problem. I think its something bigger than that.

8. pkoch1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

9. pkoch1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Does anyone think that calling AppleCare will do any good? Or should I box it up, grab a buddy, and take it on the subway to Cambridge to visit the Apple Store?

10. f1 macrumors 6502

Was your Mac Pro Kernel panicing before you installed more RAM or did you upgrade the RAM as soon as you purchased the computer?? Either way, remove the OWC RAM and see how your computer runs, if its fine, you'll need to call OWC and swap the RAM; even though your computer recognizes the RAM it can still be defective. When I upgraded the RAM on my macbook it kernel panicked quite frequently, and even ran diagnostics on the RAM and it PASSED the test, got the RAM swapped and haven't had a problem since. If all else fails take it back to Apple. Good Luck!

11. pkoch1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Sorry, I hadn't actually been with my mac for a few days so I could not test anything. So, I took out the OWC RAM and it didn't kernel panic. Then I took the apple RAM out and put in the OWC...still no kernel panic. Then I put the RAM back into the configuration I had originally (Apple RAM in Slot A 1 and 2 and OWC RAM in Slot B 1 and 2) and it did not kernel panic. I guess everything's okay. Maybe something just wasn't in all the way.