2008 Mac Pro, No Longer On Display

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rpaloalto, Dec 12, 2008.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I just got back from the Palo Alto Ca. Apple store on university.
    The mac pro is gone, as well as the 30' ACD. Were they have them normally on display. They now instead have a huge table of ipods roped off, ready for sale.
    I asked about it, and was told they still have them, but are keeping them in the back. I doubt they will bring them back out. It looks like the ipod sales table will be their till christmas. Then only 7 days till mac world 09.
    It was hard for me to see this. It means my 6 month old mac pro is really on the way out. Soon to be the old model:(

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

The Mac Pro and Mac Mini were gone from the New Jersey store I went to this week too, but not the 30in ACD. They were moving things around tho, and there was a MBP on a desk stand and some other new displays.

3. chromatronic macrumors member

or juste MAC PRO is not a christmas Gift... ^_^
    so if they need room for things that will sell like hot bread for christmas, the first degsk they will use is the MAC PRO one, since peoples who want that dont especially buy it for christmas...
    But Ipod yes is a big hit for christmas...

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I know how you feel my friend :eek: our lovely mac pros are soon to become old...last gen technology.

what to do? that's Apple for you...:cool:

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

"Old tech" maybe in definition, but really, my 8-core 2.8 is hardly a dinosaur.

Thinking of it, I don't recall seeing the MacPro the other day in the Apple store either (Irvine Spectrum).

6. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I ran into the same thing at the Park Meadows Apple Store here in Highlands Ranch, CO (South of Denver CO). I would very much like to believe the new Mac Pro is coming sooner than later but alas I believe that they just made room in the store for the holiday season. I agree with chromatronic as they probably moved out the Mac Pro to move more (mainstream) product for the holidays; and the missing Mac Pro setup isn't because the new one will be released "very soon" to replace the current model/floor model.

7. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

When you stop seeing an Apple product in the store, that's time to break out the champagne! Why?
    - As a buyer, you're in the 'catbird' seat as the latest and greatest is about to be HEAVILY discounted. That means more cash in your pocket and you're still getting a very very robust system to do actual work on!
    - I NEVER buy first releases of anything! Being a die-hard midstream adopter, I figure that buy the time a model is about to be discontinued, it's reached full maturity. Indeed, ALL Apple products have followed this trend. That includes OS :D
    - You'd be surprised at how uninspiring 'refreshes' really are. MacBook AIR a refresh? Nope. Sorry! OSX when first released was HORRIBLE compared to 9.4.4 etc...
    - If you actually produce end product worth talking about, you're too busy working to even notice that a new model has been released.

I bought my MacPro 2008 2.8Ghz 8-Core in November for a fraction of it's January 2008 price! It's now fully loaded and locked- ready to rock! Been working diligently on a Powerbook G4 17" for 3 years now ;)

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Personally, I don't care for a replacement or refreshed display... I'm wanting an additional 30", Ideally something that matches my current one. If Apple does plan to release a new and refreshed model then I think i'll be kinda pissed as I'm not thinking about making a purchase till after Xmas. However, I don't mind if they release a refreshed MacPro... I need more power!

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Always. :D :p

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they take off the high end pro models during the christmas season to make room for ipods and printers.

since more people tend to buy ipods during this time than they do pro machines and need available access to the customers aswell instead of making trips back n fourth to the backroom.

theyll get replaced by the end of the holiday rush.

11. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Ditto. They are only making room for the high volume and high profit items (iPods) for Khristmas

12. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

While I have no regret getting my MP last month knowing that it could become the "last gen" within 0~4 months:p, I'd be quite interested in the actually benchmarks coming forth. For me, 1.5x the overall performance is my minimum for upgrading systems. Currently I'm still in honeymoon with how robust my 2008 MP is.:D

I'm curious what your criteria is for upgrading to the next newest/greatest? Any reliable data on 2008 MP vs 2009 MP? What about your guesstimate?

13. Metalshopteach macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post on a mac forum. I am about to make the switch to a mac and I wanted a Power Computer and chose the Mac Pro to do that seeing as its just sick performance wise. I was going to buy it at the end of the xmas season but then I saw this post and wondered why is it about to be old news, I thought the mac pro was new this year and one of the most powerful and best computers out there..... what is comming in to replace it... I dont want to buy old news if somthing is going to be new soon. Whats going to replace the MAc pro?

14. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

the most recent mac pro was released at the beginning of this year.

and people are afraid to buy a new mac pro because there have been indications that apple is going to update some of their products within a few months.

15. Metalshopteach macrumors newbie

Yes I did some research and there is a new processor due to launch apparently. So I have always been a beleiver that you cant wait for the next best thing cause the next best thing always as a next better thing after it.... now my question is do I wait for the new one, save some more money and buy it or buy now.... Well I am curious about one thing. Never having bought mac products before, can someone tell me this, when mac releases the next best thing, say a new mac pro in January can I still get the current Mac pro... and if so do they ever offer it at a discount to clear old stock, or are they like Microsoft used to be, when the new windows comes out the old windows comes off the shelf?

I would love to just take my 3500 bucks ive saved up and purchase the mac pro I always wanted now, but would also be willing to wait and buy an old stock mac pro.... just more ran better cpu for the same price.... but I dunno if they do this....

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

There is a replacement machine in the works, based on Nehalem Architecture (Xeon 5500 series).

The exact date of release is unknown, as Intel has pushed the release date of the CPU's to Q1 '09. Realistically, the end of it, so ~late March '09, if they hit the self imposed deadline. Then there's a month or two lag time for Apple to get the systems assembled, and made available.

So simply, if you need it now, and cannot wait, buy the current model. If cost is remotely an issue, refurbished units can save you some money, and come with the same warranty as a new one.

BTW, the price of the next MP may go up given the Xeon 5500 series pricing, and some members are guessing that it will sell at ~$3000USD to compensate for the CPU $$$ increase. :eek: ;)

Hope this helps. :)

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It won't be a dinosaur or old tech for several years, it is a 8 core afterall.

18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

And I though i was crazy for not seeing the MP at two apple stores last week.

Come on new MP. I want for crysis, then Logic Studio.

19. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I, also, have noticed missing Macs from my local Apple store; replaced by iPods. Which makes sense, I mean the iPod is a hot seller for holidays and celebrations like Christmas, so it's only fair that Apple tries to rake in as many sales before the holidays as they can.

Hopefully, though, they'll replace the units in January. :D

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I was told at my local Apple Store that this is temporary, for the holidays, and things will return to the way they were on January 2 2009.

21. tylen01 macrumors newbie

Gone in SLC

Was at our store in Salt Lake City this weekend and was browsing for a while and then it hit me as well that the Mac Pro's and display's were gone. I asked and they said they were just not being displayed at the moment and had Ipods in its place for the holidays. So yeah typical apple not revealing anything. But I'm looking forward to the new upgrade. It will be my first mac pro. *very excited*

22. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Come to think of it

So was are reseller here in England.

They had a USB controller running with Garage band and Logic with a Mac PRO

That has gone and now has a 17'MBP there instead.

Strangeeeee.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The update won't be until March. Don't think MacWorld will have anything.

24. chromatronic macrumors member

I dont know what you do with logic but the current mac pro are already almost too much powerful for logic lol :D

25. tylen01 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping they will at least annouce something new with it... even if it doesn't come out for another 3 months.