2008 Mac Pro, occasional blank white screen on boot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Weepul, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Weepul macrumors regular

Got a question... From time to time, now, on my recently-acquired 2008 2.8x8 mac pro, it'll boot to a blank white screen, no Apple logo, no spinning indicator. It does not have Boot Camp set up. A single press of the power button will turn it off and it'll boot fine the immediately subsequent try.

The console doesn't show anything. Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?

2. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

No feedback at all? My third thread on MR in a row with no help whatsoever...

C'mon guys, nobody has any insight on this? I did do a search first, and only came up with references to the problem in connection with Boot Camp. Need any further specs on my machine or what?

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

sorry no clue. Why not try calling Apple care?

4. hcpilot macrumors newbie

I had an issue when I tried an external Iomega usb prestige drive. The screen would go white for approx. 90 seconds. Everything was fine without the Iomega drive attached. I returned the Iomega and got a Western Digital external drive and the problem went away.

5. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like I found the culprit. I let the machine sit at the blank screen for a while and eventually it booted up using a different install of OS X on another hard drive. It seems to have gotten confused about which install of OS X to use. Strange, 'cause the main one is selected in Startup Disk...