2008 Mac Pro - Random Pop sound

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdiosVista, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

I searched mroogle for a while and only found one similar thread but there was no answer. I hear a "pop" coming from the front of my Mac Pro case probably 3-4 times a day. It is random and happens whether I have my external speakers on or off. It sounds exactly like it is coming from the crappy internal speaker that the Mac Pro comes with. Anyone having similar issues or know what is going on? Leopard is up-to-date.

My second question, which may help narrow down the issue, is how do I disconnect the internal speaker in the Mac Pro? There must be a cord or something inside I can pull to disable the speaker entirely. I don't use it and if it's causing the popping sound, I might as well unplug it.

2. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

If you have speakers plugged into the line-out then what you can do is unplug those first so that only the internal speaker is activated then go to sound preferences under system preference. Mute the internal speaker and then plug in your external speakers again and the internal speaker should then be muted.

Also it prevents the "bong" sound going off when you first start up a mac.

3. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Right now I have a Griffon FireWave plugged into the back which allowed me to hook up my Logitech 5.1. In the preferences, I have the logitech system set as default but will try what you suggested.