Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red9

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Here's a weird problem I've been having intermittently that is causing me to become a bit concerned.

Long story short, my 2008 Mac Pro will randomly turn off. Sometimes this occurs once a month, sometimes it occurs a couple times a week. I think it might be happening more frequently, but I'm not entirely sure.

I first thought it might be power outages of some kind, so I got a UPS. That did not solve the problem, it still happens. And there are no power outages that occurred either.

Anyone have any idea what the issue might be? It ALWAYS has occurred when I am NOT at the computer. It has never simply just turned off while I am using it, always when I am either asleep or out of the house.

I did a cursory search and saw a thread on the Apple support forums, mostly from people having their systems shut off while they were using them, one of the things suggested was the procedure of unplugging the computer and holding down the power button for several seconds. I did that. It didn't appear to have any effect. It might have prolonged a potential shutdown for a week or two, but the issue just keeps coming back.

It's random enough that I'm not sure what to do--someone looking at it might have to keep it for potentially a month before it repeats. Or it might happen within a day or two, it just doesn't follow a set pattern.

So, anybody else have this happen? Any suggestions for what I can try to do to troubleshoot this? I have Applecare so I should be covered if it's a hardware failure that's happening, but I'd really like to know what exactly is causing this strange issue. Thanks!

DDylan

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
I had the same problem when I first got my '08 Mac Pro. Try plugging your mac directly into the wall outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.