2008 Mac Pro to 2010 Model?

3282868

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
5,281
0
I'm debating upgrading my early 2008 2.8 8-core Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro just released. My AppleCare ends in March, and I usually upgrade systems around that time (three year mark).

I'm hesitant as I haven't been wowed with the new models (and prices). I have a pretty loaded system that should get me around $2500-$2800. Yet with USB 3.0 and possibly Lightpeak around the corner, should I hold out until the next revision if Apple does include them (I know, guessing with Apple is pointless and no one is Ms. Cleo)?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
 

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
2,539
617
bleep
I'd hold off. Like you said, the prices are pretty high, and the update is overall underwhelming.
 

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
657
0
I'm debating upgrading my early 2008 2.8 8-core Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro just released. My AppleCare ends in March, and I usually upgrade systems around that time (three year mark).

I'm hesitant as I haven't been wowed with the new models (and prices). I have a pretty loaded system that should get me around $2500-$2800. Yet with USB 3.0 and possibly Lightpeak around the corner, should I hold out until the next revision if Apple does include them (I know, guessing with Apple is pointless and no one is Ms. Cleo)?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Well, I have probably similar configuration as yours (I'm guessing here) and was thinking of doing the same so I put the system on ebay for a price I would like to get and no one bought it. I'm trying again if no one buys it then I'm keeping 2008. The only thing that is slowing me down is the graphic card as everything else is ok. I could use more cores when rendering but the price tag is not worth it at all.

The problem is Apple Care as it runs out in feb for me and after that I am warrantless.
To be honest, it would be nice if I could swap it for the 2010 but seeing that even if I sell the system now, I would still have to pay extra £400 which is ok considering new apple care etc. but if I don't sell the system then there is absolutely no point.
The price is too high for such a minor update. (shame about the warranty but hey, I had no issues so far so perhaps it will still be ok).

P.s. I have students discount so even with all those things I think its not really worth it unless you sell the system for really high price.
 

3282868

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
5,281
0
Along my thoughts as well. However, the longer I wait the less I'll get for my system, especially without Applecare (plus I have friends who work at Apple who can give me a nice discount on a new system).

Although the system is more than adequate for my (our) needs. It's a shame Apple doesn't allow AppleCare extensions. :(
 

goMac

macrumors 604
Apr 15, 2004
7,147
1,167
I'm debating upgrading my early 2008 2.8 8-core Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro just released. My AppleCare ends in March, and I usually upgrade systems around that time (three year mark).

I'm hesitant as I haven't been wowed with the new models (and prices). I have a pretty loaded system that should get me around $2500-$2800. Yet with USB 3.0 and possibly Lightpeak around the corner, should I hold out until the next revision if Apple does include them (I know, guessing with Apple is pointless and no one is Ms. Cleo)?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I'm in the same boat you are, and I'm waiting until next rev. It'll mean my Mac Pro will be off AppleCare for a few months, but that's no biggy. If it happens to catch fire in that time I guess I'll jave to upgrade early.

AppleCare is nice, but you certainly shouldn't feel rushed to change machines. Again, the worst that happens is your machine dies in that timeframe and you have to update anyway. But if your machine is still working, why not wait for the next rev?
 

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
657
0
Along my thoughts as well. However, the longer I wait the less I'll get for my system, especially without Applecare (plus I have friends who work at Apple who can give me a nice discount on a new system).

Although the system is more than adequate for my (our) needs. It's a shame Apple doesn't allow AppleCare extensions. :(

How much is the discount? 15% or more?

I know, the applecare is bummer but what can we do :(
 

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
11,719
2
I'm debating upgrading my early 2008 2.8 8-core Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro just released. My AppleCare ends in March, and I usually upgrade systems around that time (three year mark).

I'm hesitant as I haven't been wowed with the new models (and prices). I have a pretty loaded system that should get me around $2500-$2800. Yet with USB 3.0 and possibly Lightpeak around the corner, should I hold out until the next revision if Apple does include them (I know, guessing with Apple is pointless and no one is Ms. Cleo)?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
It will depend on exactly what you're doing with the system, and if it's used as a personal or business unit (i.e. making a living on it).

For example, if you're doing a lot of 3D rendering, the ability to run 12 cores may make that system justifiable (reduces time per job, which allows more jobs to be taken on within a period of time = more income for that period compared to what was possible with the current system).
 

3282868

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
5,281
0
How much is the discount? 15% or more?

I know, the applecare is bummer but what can we do :(
Don't want to say (cough25%cough) as well as an AppleCare discount. If I were to do it I'd stick with 8 Cores. The newer Mac Pro's are faster due to the memory processing blah blah blah, even though the processor speeds themselves are clocked slower. Kind of a trade off I suppose. Although I would love to see Light Peak in a Mac Pro:

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

Sigh


It will depend on exactly what you're doing with the system, and if it's used as a personal or business unit (i.e. making a living on it).

For example, if you're doing a lot of 3D rendering, the ability to run 12 cores may make that system justifiable (reduces time per job, which allows more jobs to be taken on within a period of time = more income for that period compared to what was possible with the current system).
I do use it for work, but not 3D rendering. I have the ATI Radeon HD 4870 and a couple of display port monitors daisy chained and a DVI display, mostly for web/HTML5/Flash/animation and IT/Communications work (I'm dabbling in AutoCAD in Windows 7).
 

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
11,719
2
I do use it for work, but not 3D rendering. I have the ATI Radeon HD 4870 and a couple of display port monitors daisy chained and a DVI display, mostly for web/HTML5/Flash/animation and IT/Communications work (I'm dabbling in AutoCAD in Windows 7).
I'm not sure how heavy your usage is, but I'd hang on to what you have for now, as a faster system will mean you'd need to add a noticable amount of funds IMO (i.e. the 3.33GHz Hex core or 2.4GHz Octad). Just a base model would likely require over $1000USD for either, and that's before any upgrades necessary to get them spec'ed out where you'd need them.

You could opt to upgrade what you have, such as load your apps off of SSD, add RAM, RAID, or a faster GPU, if you've any bottlenecks in your current system (asside from USB 3.0 or LP cards).
 

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
397
33
San Diego
I'm debating upgrading my early 2008 2.8 8-core Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro just released. My AppleCare ends in March, and I usually upgrade systems around that time (three year mark).

I'm hesitant as I haven't been wowed with the new models (and prices). I have a pretty loaded system that should get me around $2500-$2800. Yet with USB 3.0 and possibly Lightpeak around the corner, should I hold out until the next revision if Apple does include them (I know, guessing with Apple is pointless and no one is Ms. Cleo)?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I'm also debating on upgrading to a 2010 Mac Pro, Apple recycle program offered me $1660 Apple gift-card for my 08 3.2GHz 8-Core Mac Pro and I willing to take that too, But users are telling me that I can get alot more for it but I've ready started saving up for a new Mac Pro every sense I bought my Mac Pro back in Feb of 08 and have enough to purchase a 27-inch LED and a 2010 Mac Pro, but the question is should i do it? will you take $1660 for your 08 and put it towards the 2010 Mac Pro? I was also thinking that I just should upgrade my current 3.2GHz with ATi 5870 and add more ram and wait until next year to purchase my new Mac Pro what do you guys think?
 

3282868

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
5,281
0
I'm also debating on upgrading to a 2010 Mac Pro, Apple recycle program offered me $1660 Apple gift-card for my 08 3.2GHz 8-Core Mac Pro and I willing to take that too, But users are telling me that I can get alot more for it but I've ready started saving up for a new Mac Pro every sense I bought my Mac Pro back in Feb of 08 and have enough to purchase a 27-inch LED and a 2010 Mac Pro, but the question is should i do it? will you take $1660 for your 08 and put it towards the 2010 Mac Pro? I was also thinking that I just should upgrade my current 3.2GHz with ATi 5870 and add more ram and wait until next year to purchase my new Mac Pro what do you guys think?
You can get a lot more depending on any additional upgrades. I've upgraded my graphics card to the ATI Radeon HD 4870, added more RAM for a total of 8 GBs, a SATA optical drive, and including as much licensed software as I have such as CS5, iLife 09, etc. I've seen similar systems sell on eBay and Craigslist from anywhere between $2200-$2800. Apples programs is a joke but at least they're pushing Eco-consciousness by recycling systems for cash. However try selling first, it will pay off in the end, especially as not many in the Pro market are wowed by Apples Mac Pro update and would rather have an 8 core that's just as good for a lot less. I'm thinking I may hold off until Spring.
 

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
3,746
201
Burpelson AFB
From all I've heard the 2008 Mac Pro seems like a great machine. I'd wait and/or update it rather than get a 2010 Mac Pro.

I'm looking to buy my first one. Wish I had bought the 2008 Mac Pro a couple of years ago. All I hear are great things about it.
 

3282868

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
5,281
0
That is a very very large corner.
HAHAH I know :eek: Yet Intel/Sony debuted Lightpeak on a Mac Pro in 2008, so I'd be surprised if it's that much longer.

OT, I know Lightpeak is fiber optic cable system, which would replace SATA and ??? What exactly would it replace? I've been told it would be the entire wiring for the system, for optical/HDDs, video and other inputs. Just curious.

Shame that the 2009 Pro models introduced a new system as it would have been nice to drop in a faster processor into my 08 system instead of buying a whole new unit. Oh well.
 

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
11,719
2
HAHAH I know :eek: Yet Intel/Sony debuted Lightpeak on a Mac Pro in 2008, so I'd be surprised if it's that much longer.
It wasn't a MP, but a cobbled together system based on an Intel board and running OS X.

As per when LP will ship, the date is still Q4 2010. So we would see LP equiped systems (via additional semiconductors) in early 2011. It will be later before Intel gets LP on any chipsets, which is how Apple prefers to offer features.

Take a look at the LightPeak Wiki to get an idea of what it's supposed to be used for. It's ability to work however, particularly for end-point devices such as a SATA disk for example, will require that the necessary bridge chips are also available (LP to SATA bridge controller). Without such chips, the standard would be useless for such things, as LP has to do protocol translations.
 

3282868

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
5,281
0
It wasn't a MP, but a cobbled together system based on an Intel board and running OS X.

As per when LP will ship, the date is still Q4 2010. So we would see LP equiped systems (via additional semiconductors) in early 2011. It will be later before Intel gets LP on any chipsets, which is how Apple prefers to offer features.

Take a look at the LightPeak Wiki to get an idea of what it's supposed to be used for. It's ability to work however, particularly for end-point devices such as a SATA disk for example, will require that the necessary bridge chips are also available (LP to SATA bridge controller). Without such chips, the standard would be useless for such things, as LP has to do protocol translations.
Ah, bridge chips, that makes sense. I was wondering how they would "bridge" the two :D. So based on current history of Apple's adopting new tech, 2012 may be the earliest. Bummer. I'll have to read on Sandy Bridge, curious about that new architecture.

EDIT: WOW, Intel started work on "Sandy Bridge" in 2006. CPU and GPU on one die. Hmmmm. Some interesting specs.
 

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
397
33
San Diego
Will You take this deal

Apple Recycle Program offered me $1686 Gift-Card for my 2008 Mac Pro, if this was offer to you will you take it and put it towards the 2010 Mac Pro? or will you keep your 2008 and just upgrade the video card to ATi 5870, add more ram and wait until Sandy Bridge Mac Pro any advice
 

macpro2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2005
950
536
I'd like to get a new one just to get a new one...however my 06 Quad is still working so well.
 

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
12,318
7,798
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'm debating upgrading my early 2008 2.8 8-core Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro just released. My AppleCare ends in March, and I usually upgrade systems around that time (three year mark).

I'm hesitant as I haven't been wowed with the new models (and prices). I have a pretty loaded system that should get me around $2500-$2800. Yet with USB 3.0 and possibly Lightpeak around the corner, should I hold out until the next revision if Apple does include them (I know, guessing with Apple is pointless and no one is Ms. Cleo)?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
If you don't like the current model. Don't buy it. Simple as really. Wait for the Sandy Bridge update. By then Intel may have made USB 3 standard, faster firewire and maybe light peak? And God forbid, a case design change....:rolleyes:

I personally think the BEST machine of the updates is the Core i5 BTO for the 21.5" iMac. Nice neat little powerful machine.
 

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
657
0
Apple Recycle Program offered me $1686 Gift-Card for my 2008 Mac Pro, if this was offer to you will you take it and put it towards the 2010 Mac Pro? or will you keep your 2008 and just upgrade the video card to ATi 5870, add more ram and wait until Sandy Bridge Mac Pro any advice
Don't waste your money. 2010 is not a big update so stick with 2008 and wait for an update that is really worth it.
Unless of course you manage to sell your mac pro for more but $1686 is NOT enough. (you would need to pay another $1800 to get 8 core which would be only about 30% faster and not in all situations)
 

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
686
1
Ocoee, Florida
I have decided to upgrade my graphics card and add the 27" LED to my 2008 Mac Pro setup. Thanks to the information, advice and what not on this forum, it has helped me feel good about my 2008 MP.

I currently have the ATI 3870 card so jumping up to the new upgrade card will be a welcome additon. What do some of you think the new upgrade card will go for? Didn't the ATI 4870 price out at $349.00 originally?

One other side note. I paid $2799.00 for my 2008 MP Early when I bought it and I notice that the last MP was going for $2499.00 and perhaps the new MP update will be $2499.00. Even though it is a single quad core vs my double quad core, I reckon that extra $300.00 I spent for the 2nd quad core was a heck of a deal?
 

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
397
33
San Diego
I have decided to upgrade my graphics card and add the 27" LED to my 2008 Mac Pro setup. Thanks to the information, advice and what not on this forum, it has helped me feel good about my 2008 MP.

I currently have the ATI 3870 card so jumping up to the new upgrade card will be a welcome additon. What do some of you think the new upgrade card will go for? Didn't the ATI 4870 price out at $349.00 originally?

One other side note. I paid $2799.00 for my 2008 MP Early when I bought it and I notice that the last MP was going for $2499.00 and perhaps the new MP update will be $2499.00. Even though it is a single quad core vs my double quad core, I reckon that extra $300.00 I spent for the 2nd quad core was a heck of a deal?
I'm going to do the same thing and just wait until next year Sandy Bridge Mac Pro but I hope that Apple will sale ATi 5870 as a upgrade kit for late model's Mac Pro
 

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
802
1
In all probability the 5870 will be available for the 2008 model. If you're into 3D graphics, this is going to be a significant upgrade for you from your current card.

The only real justification for upgrading to the 2010 from an 08 model is 3d rendering or if you're using an application that is truly multi threaded. Most software about doesn't even fully tax an 8 core system so 12 cores is not going to really give you much more of a bump. The processors themselves are a bit more speedy when you compare what a single core can do on each system, but not really enough to justify the cost IMHO. The 2010's are poor value for money, whereas the 08's were the best Apple have produced for a long time.

As far as warranty goes, if your system hasn't given you problems thus far and you clean it out with some compressed air a couple of times a year (paying particular attention to the PSU, RAM and GPU) the chances are that it'll probably carry on giving good service.

I plan on keeping my 08 for a couple more years yet, and I do 3D graphics. If I need more rendering capacity, I would more than likely buy or make a PC box and use it solely for that purpose. Mac Pro's offer poor value currently for processing power, but obviously if you like OS X and a solid dependable workstation, then they're great.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.