2008 Mac Pro: Where is the molex power connector?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jamesdmc, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I've got two hard drives mounted in the lower optical bay of my 2008 mac pro. I have a 4-pin molex to two 15-pin SATA cable. Looks like this. My mac pro is open with the optical bay out and the two new SATA hard drives mounted with an OWC multimount. The 4 hard drive bays have been removed. I can see the ODD_SATA connectors on the logic board (and I have two SATA cables ready to attach), but where on the logic board do I connect the 4-pin molex connector to get power to the optical bay drives? I think I'm missing an adapter. Am I?

Thanks.

James

2. RPJones macrumors newbie

molex

If it's an '08 MP, you should see a molex connector in-line, meant to be used if a 2nd optical drive was installed in the lower optical drive bay, on the same cable that powers the top optical drive.

That's what I used, putting 2 ssd's in the empty bay, along with the spare sata ports on the mother board.

3. jamesdmc, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

jamesdmc thread starter macrumors 6502

RP, thank you.

I'm a complete moron. Once I removed the optical bay drive cage, I tucked the PATA cable back inside the cavity so that I could see the guts of the logic board and..well...just didn't notice that second power connector. Feeling pretty stupid right now. I mean, I have the fan assembly pulled out and everything :D.

Thanks again. I can complete my SSD upgrade now.

James

Okay, I'm on a roll tonight. You have to remove the fan assembly to facilitate getting to the ODD_SATA connectors. Gonna log off now before I say something else stupid.