2008 mac pro with x-25m??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mab920, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mab920 macrumors newbie

I am looking to get an ssd such as the x-25m, probably the 80GB to use as a boot drive in my 2008 mac pro. Is there any problems anyone has had with doing this. Is there a certain 2.5 to 3.5" adapter that I should get?? I'm not looking to run boot camp or anything like that, just run pro tools, and some other recording software. All data files will be on a regular HDD.

Thanks!

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I seem to remember people saying that the Icy Dock SSD converter was good and lined up right. Personally I don't think Intel's SSDs are good value anymore and their performance isn't leagues ahead of the competition like they were at release. You may want to wait a few months for Intel's G3 drives to come out - they're widely expected to me much faster and a good chunk cheaper. They dropped their SSD prices by 60% I believe when the G2 came out.

3. mab920 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, i've been tryin to get any clue as to when g3's will drop. I'm not sure I want to wait 3 months, but i'm sure they will be much better and cheaper. I don't need a lot of space though, so 225 for an 80gb isn't terrible.

4. bobpensik macrumors regular

I've been researching SSD's for my '08 Mac Pro as well for use as a boot drive.

From the research I've done it looks like anything with the Sandforce controller are generally regarded very highly (i.e. OWC Mercury Pro, OCZ, Corsair, etc)

I'm personally leaning toward the OWC SSD and an OWC adapter so I can fit it into my empty 2nd optical drive bay

5. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

What he said - as OSX doesn't have TRIM you want a Sandforce drive which has built in garbage collection.

I'm looking to get one too for my 08 MP. OWC MP, OCZ Vertex 2 and Corsair Force seem to be the best options. The Intel is not a good choice at this point in time.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm not sure why people keep saying that. While there's no debating that Sandforce drives are a good choice and good bang for the buck, if you can get a good deal on the Intel, it's also a smoking fast drive at sustained and particularly random reads (which is most important)...

[​IMG]

The Intel is slower in writes, but honestly, that's not that relevant on an OS/Apps drive.

It's also known to hold up extremely well under heavy use. As far as I know, no one has been fired for buying Intel SSD's ! Just sayin. :) :D

7. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Fair enough - it's the lack of any kind of garbage collection under OSX that puts me off with the Intel.

Another very interesting contender is the OCZ RevoDrive. It comes on a PCI card with 2 sandforce controllers, thereby giving you Raid 0 speeds. It only costs a little more than the Vertex 2 but is much faster.

EDIT: Scrap that - apparently the RevoDrive doesn't work properly under OSX yet...according to this..

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-Any-hope-for-Mac-OS-10.6-boot-from-RevoDrive

Let's hope they sort a proper driver out.