2008 MacBook 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluethunder505, Jul 28, 2010.

1. bluethunder505 macrumors newbie

I'll start with a mini intro since this is my first post

I have always been a google/android fan (most of my friends are apple fanboi's and I think the reason I have held out so long is just to argue with them hahahaha) I recently picked up a 32GB 3GS and love it so I decided to purchase a macbook as well.

2008 Macbook
    White
    2.4Ghz
    320GB HDD
    4GB RAM
    Snow Leopard OSx

From the research I have done the graphics card in the older ones is not that good. Now I have a 6GB Quad core hp for an graphics things I would do so that is not much of a concern to me. The laptop would be primarily used for Web surfing, iTunes, word/excel/powerpoint and basic homework assignments.

Would it be better based on my usage to pay an extra $200 and get a new macbook 13" with the 2GB RAM and 120GB HDD or save the $200 and get this little better spec'd used one?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

John

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does the MacBook come with warranty? I would gladly pay 200$ for new one with full warranty. If you want to save some $, look at refurbs, they come with full warranty and are as good as new ones

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Either would do the job fine for you. Personally, I'd go for the used one. Not much sense spending extra for less, aside from the new shape and trackpad. Pretty sure the new ones come with a 250 gig hard drive though. Anyhow, I'd pocket the $200 and go for the older model. One thing about that though is that the new models have a 10 hour battery which could come in handy, but if that isn't a big deal, then don't worry about it.

4. bluethunder505 thread starter macrumors newbie

No warranty.

My main dilemma is:

4GB Vs. 2GB
    320GB vs. 250GB (edited double checked and you're right^)
    $750 vs. $950 (Plus tax)

5. bluethunder505 thread starter macrumors newbie

one other thing Im confused about. Can you do gestures (pinch to zoom, etc...) on the 2008 white model? I'm finding conflicting information

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?cid=AOS-US-AFF-FEED

Buy that and upgrade the RAM to 4GB from OWC for ~100$. It has better battery and GPU plus comes with full warranty. Should be worth the extra ~100$, huh?

EDIT: The one I linked has multitouch trackpad which can do all gestures etc but I think the 2008 cannot (was introduced in late 2008 in alu MacBooks)

7. bluethunder505 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that looks like it may actually be a better deal. I know the gestures aren't a huge deal but I like them.

Thanks for linking that for me.

8. molala macrumors 6502a

+1 the linked 2010 refurb is a better deal than the 2008 macbook

and yes, early 2008 macbook had an older trackpad that did not recognise the gestures.

more importantly, the 2010 refurb has a newer led-backlit screen.