2008 Macbook 2.4GHz standard operating temperature?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ptdebate, May 10, 2015.

1. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Hi all!

I just picked up an '08 BlackBook and was wondering what the standard operating temperature range was? 51 degrees Celsius is where this one tends to idle and as it reaches higher CPU load running multiple Firefox tabs it gets closer to 67 and the bottom feels warm. I'm planning to dust it out anyway but should I also attend to the thermal paste or maybe a fan replacement? Are these temperatures normal?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's normal. That model does run very warm.

3. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Hmm. I'm not sure I trust you Intell. Given that this MacBook is one of your children, it's natural that you would be quick to defend it. I think I need a second opinion :p

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

That model tends to run really hot period. Even with new thermal compound and a thorough cleaning, it still gets super hot. I've got a mid-2007 white model and you wouldn't want to have it on your lap if you've got a bunch of tabs open or doing any kind of CPU-intensive task.

5. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I was just joking as I trust the ineffable Intell's supreme knowledge in everything.

Thank you for confirming this though! The temperatures are no bother to me as I typically use my laptops on a desk. Just wanted to make sure that everything was normal.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The CPU in the mid-2007 tops out at about 188F/86.6C. The late-2007 and 2008 Blackbooks' CPU tops out at 212F/100C. It's just how they are.

7. ptdebate thread starter macrumors 6502

ptdebate

That makes sense given the boost in clock speed. I wonder if the Penryn Macbook Pro models are similarly hot.

8. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

yes i own that model and it get very hot particularly at the left side of the keyboard during cpu intensive task.