2008 Macbook (4,1): 5GB or 4GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by woyzeckmac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. woyzeckmac macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've received an old 2008 black Macbook with only 1GB of RAM and I need to upgrade its RAM because I use sample-based software. Now that I read that any 4,1 Macbook can support up to 6GBs of RAM I wonder what would be closer to optimal:

- Preserve 1GB in one slot and insert a 4GB stick into the other.
    - Discard the 1GB stick and get 2 2GB sticks to put into each slot.

I don't have enough money to buy the whole 6GB, plus I've read that it doesn't really change performance that much. Please, help me with this one.

BTW, just out of curiosity: has anybody tried inserting more RAM into these 4,1 Macbooks?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The current ram is likely two sticks of 512MB ram.

3. woyzeckmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. No, it's a 1GB stick. I know because I have the old one next to me, thus, there is one stick left inside (AFAIK Macbooks only have two RAM slots). Perhaps my Macbook is not the 2008 edition, but it certainly is listed as 4,1 version.

4. AndyBob09 macrumors newbie

I upgraded my RAM from 2gb (2x1) to 4gb (2x2) no problem. It's really easy with these machines. You just pop them out and pop more back in.

I wasn't aware that they supported up to 6gb. I thought it was just 4gb.

5. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

I just upgraded my MacBook 4,1 from 2 GB of RAM to 4 GB yesterday, it was real easy...
    The advice I heard and read is, that it is better to use matching sticks of RAM so I try to do that when I upgrade any of my machines...