2008 Macbook A1278 cant turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by young88a, Feb 9, 2013.

1. young88a macrumors newbie

Hi guys, my first post here.

Someone give me a "smashed" 2008 Aluminium Macbook, don't know what happened but its literally smashed up. As i can easily replace the upper case and bottom cover, i accepted it to see if i can recover it.

After open it to check the main board, i verify that there is a broken piece, just beside the memory modules, where the main board attaches to the upper case with a screw. Could this be the reason for it not to turn on? As far as i can see only have 2 lines for grounding. Please see attached pic.

When i connect the charger, i get a green light, if the battery is installed it will turn orange. So i guess its not completely dead.

Anyone can give me some ideas of what can i do to check this better?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

That's just a ground to the bottom case, nothing to worry about.

As for the issue, sounds like it's the top case tbh. Try disconnecting the top case ribbon cable, and shorting the power on pads on the MLB (or running a screwdriver across the contacts on the top case connector usually does the trick if you can't find them).

3. young88a thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much for your reply Brian.

The top case ribbon cable u mean the keyboard connector?

And wich ones are the pads to touch on the MLB ? What MLB stands for? Sorry new terms to me hehe, already learning a lot from these forum.

What i did try was to touch a wire in a ground point and pin 5 on the keyboard connector, the fan would move a bit but stops right a way, and o notice that sometimes when i do that, the green light on the magsafe would dim...

I think im getting close to turn on this baby hehe, Its really smashed, needs a new top cover with lcd, and new upper case .....

4. young88a thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried running a screw driver across the keyboard connector nothong happens, what i am doing wrong??

5. young88a thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone have any idea why is not starting up ? PLease hehe

All i can get is a little flick on the fan when i short pin 5 and gnd on the keyboard connector ...

What else can i check for ?

6. young88a thread starter macrumors newbie

Please guys, anyone can give me some more help?

This board seems not to be totally dead, I can't see any more defects other than the one in the pic, I don't have the original charger but I'm using one from a 2008 MacBook Pro 15" so I guess should be enough...

Any ideas why when I short the pin on the keyboard connector the green lit on the MagSafe will dim or off, and the fan gives a little flick, but then notHing, light will go back to green and no more signs of turning on ....