2008 MacBook Air or Asus Zenbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Orange Furball, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hello everyone.

I will be purchasing a new laptop for the upcoming school year and to use while traveling. Since it isn't going to be used all that often, I just want something thin and light and good to type on. I've narrowed it down to either an ASUS Zenbook (ux32a or ux21e) or the MacBook Air (13.3" mb003ll/a w/ 64gb SSD)

Which should I go for? Both would work great for my needs and are in my price range (<$450 used on eBay). I will probably order on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have office and all the other programs I need already for both Windows and Mac OS X, so that doesn't matter. I'm just looking for some input from current users of either machine.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well since you're asking on a Apple site, I'll give you my $.02.

Get the MBA, it runs OSX which is superior to windows.

3. tooobe macrumors regular

Is the Zenbook ux32a the one with a core i5 processor? If that is the case, I would get the zenbook, even though i prefer OSX over Windows on a laptop, the 2008 Macbook Air 11" isn't that great an experience (I know, I had the 2009 13"). Great at the time, but today - not so much.

If the specs were similar on the other hand, I would recommend the Macbook Air.

4. xproc macrumors member

you comparing 2012 laptop with 2008 mac...

its completely different range, you should go with zenbook, at least it is USB 3, and the processor is for more superior...

although here is apple forum...

5. mattferg macrumors 6502

I agree with the above. If it's a choice between an Ivy Bridge i5 Zenbook and an ancient ULV C2D Macbook Air, it's the Zenbook every time.

6. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

They're both around the same thickness and arguably the Zenbook does look better, but I wasn't sure if I'd be better off going with the Apple ecosystem or Windows

7. mattferg macrumors 6502

A 5 year old Apple ecosystem experience is far, far worse than the current Windows 8 one.

8. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Can't the Air 1,1 run 10.7?

9. mattferg macrumors 6502

Probably, I think the only limitation is Core Duo processors, Core 2 is fine.

But seriously, you're getting SO MUCH LESS hardware in the Air, OS X isn't worth it. You get a much faster processor in the Zenbook, bigger SSD, 2 USB 3.0, better screen, HDMI out (the 2008 air has Mini-DVI), better WiFi, more RAM.

10. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I guess you're right.

If there is a 13" Zenbook available when I'm ready to purchase ill buy that, if not the ill just go with the air. I found a Zenbook in my price range that is all I'm looking for but who knows if it'll last the next few days

11. mattferg macrumors 6502

Seriously I'd wait for the Zenbook. The 2008 Air is a POS by today's standards. Buying that Air is a really, really, really, really bad idea.

12. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I just saw an 11" 2010 2GB RAM/64GB on Kijiji, which is the Canadian craigslist, and it was going for $500, mint condition. Have a bit of patience and keep an eye out, as you'd be surprised of the deals you can find. If I were you, and had a limited budget, I'd be going for at least a 2010 Air. Despite the C2D processor, they are still quick machines, and are a huge improvement from the 2008's. I found this one on eBay, which could be ok...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...50549119?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item56586a4d7f

If you can afford and extra 50-60 bucks, I'd go for it.

It's always a risk buying used, be it from eBay or craigslist, but more often than not, it works out.

13. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Well someone bought the Zenbook I was eyeing up. Hopefully another appears.

14. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Seems like ill be able to choose between the 11.6" Zenbook ux21e or a 13.3" MacBook Air 2008 model a1237 (i think)

So here are my pros and cons to both.

Zenbook first,
    Pros:
    super slim (1.13"-3.35")
    USB 3
    SSD
    Windows
    Core i5
    More ram

Cons:
    Small screen
    Windows (again)

Air,
    Pros:
    Big screen
    Slim (thicker than the Zenbook though)
    Nice touchpad
    Backlit keyboard
    Can still run Windows

Cons:
    Processor
    Ram
    Limited ports
    Dying support

If anyone else can think of any please let me know! I'm having trouble deciding. Pretty much all I see myself doing on it is simple web browsing, lots of typing, and light usage in vacation and trips (hence the thinness being a big deal)

Both run office, both are pretty thin, it's really the MacBooks keyboard and screen size that is making me want to buy it. The Zenbook would take all of my budget, while the air leaves a little room.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I agree with the above, if you can find a 2010 or later MacBook Air within your price range, then go for it. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Definitely avoid the 2008 MBA, unless it's dirt cheap (like, $150 max) and it's meant to be a disposable system, where you won't be in bad shape if it busts on you. Let's be frank: the 2008 MBA is a 5+year old laptop model with design problems. The later models (2010 and up) are far better.

If you can't find a recent-vintage MBA that you can afford, go with the Zenbook.

----------

The Apple ecosystem is far superior, BUT, your experience with that ecosystem will be very bad on such an old model.

16. xproc macrumors member

i agree with this.... but 2010 mba still running core 2 duo, i will suggest at least 2011 mba (sandy bridge processor, equivalent zenbook ux21e processor, better performance...)

17. robvas macrumors 68020

The 2010 Air is still a huge improvement over the 2008 - especially if you get 4GB RAM.

18. Orange Furball, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Just bought an 11.6" MacBook Air 2010. 1.6GHz c2d with 4gb of RAM. it was literally up for probably around 10 minutes. 3 offers were pending when I bought it, however I couldn't wait to have an offer declined.

I payed $450 for it........ Seems like a good deal compared to the links posted above. The size of the SSD isn't listed but that's not a big factor for me. 64 or 128 either are plenty!

Almost forgot to mention it has 10.8 installed already!

Edit: under condition it says MacBook Air 11 1.6GHz blah blah blah Screen is fine case is a little worn after 5 years.

5 Years? Last time I check 2010 wasn't 5 years ago... I don't think there was an 11" model from '08 or '09 so I guess no matter what in happy! Thanks everyone!

Extra edit: picked up a Mighty Mouse too! Couldn't resist, that mouse was the second best wireless mouse I've ever owned, behind my Logitech Performance MX. only $16! I'm pretty happy now!

Edit 3: seller responded, it has a 128GB SSD and he's throwing in an Ethernet adapter too!

19. ttran88 macrumors regular

Enjoy :) you'll love the machine :)

20. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Thanks I hope I do!

If Wikipedia right, this Air is the max 2010 11" model, it says there is a 1.4 GHz standard (1.6 GHz optional) 2gb RAM standard (4gb optional) 64gb SSD standard (128gb optional)

Aka a pretty good machine!

21. mattferg macrumors 6502

Definitely made a good choice, if you want to get into the Apple ecosystem that's a good price :) Although ScaredPoet's comment about it being better than Windows was subjective and mostly not true. It's just different.

22. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have tons of experience with both operating systems. I think they're both great but the latest Mac I had was a 2008 Aluminum MacBook non pro... Sold that so it'll be nice to have a speedy solid state system :) plus it'll be a nice getaway from windows back to Mac!

23. mattferg macrumors 6502

Yeah I know what you mean, I've got a Windows 8 desktop as well as my 2013 Air and it's nice to switch between the two, some things Windows does stupidly and some things OS X does.

24. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Exactly. I'm not a one OS guy anymore, I have an android tablet and an iPhone, why not have two OSes on my computers? Seems like it'll work great