2008 macbook air won't recognize external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OWriDL, Jun 19, 2013.

1. OWriDL macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 macbook air and i broke the screen on it. I am trying to connect it to an external monitor. I have everything all plugged in but the external monitor says "VGA no signal" no matter what i do. I know its connected correctly though because if i disconnect the vga cord from the mini display port adapter the moniter says "cable not connect" and plug it back in and it says "VGA no signal" again. I have searched arround online and havent found anything that works. I've tried Command-f1 and command-f2. I've tried booting it with the lid closed and waking it with usb keyboard/mouse. nothing has worked unfortunately. I know the computer still works because when i boot it, it chimes and the fans run. Hopefully someone can help? I really want to get all my music off of it before i buy a new one. Thanks!

2. whuybr0 macrumors newbie

External MBA monitor

I had a similar problem with my MBA.

I hooked up the MBA to an LCD tv and forgot to plug the MagSafe charger in. After doing this and pressing command-F1 it worked.

Hope this little detail is your missing link too ???

Success.

3. OWriDL thread starter macrumors newbie

sadly thats not the case. i had it plugged in from the start. thanks for the idea though :)