2008 macbook aluminium digital audio out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redryder, Jul 12, 2011.

1. redryder macrumors member

Hi guys,

I want to connect my 2008 Macbook Aluminium to my HDTV using HDMI. I did a bit of searching and found this adapter which carries both video and audio. I cut and pasted the description below:.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2#description

“This adapter connects to a female mini displayport to provide video, a USB output to provide power, and includes a mini toslink to toslink cable to connect from the 3.5mm (1/8 inch) digital audio output of your compatible Mac to the toslink input on the adapter in order to deliver true digital audio and video output to the adapter's female HDMI port. All you need to add is a male to male HDMI cable to connect from the adapter to your television and you're ready to view AND hear movies, games, or anything that's displayed on your Mac.”

My question is – does the Macbook aluminium have a digital audio output? I don’t think it does, all I see are the usual headphone jacks. Does that mean I can’t use this device?

2. unixperience macrumors regular

just about every mac has an optical/analog headphone inputs... and outputs. (f you ever installed another operating system youd see the little red light on in the jack til you get the drivers) so this will work with your macbook :)
    it's a really good price too. If i had any need to connect to an hdtv i'd get it

3. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

Hi.
    I have a followup to this. I have the 2008 aluminum MacBook, and according to MacTracker, it does have optical out. But the device does not show in System Preferences (only thing showing up are internal speakers), not even if I connect a Toslink cable. Any ideas?

4. mnemonicj macrumors member

mnemonicj

It seems that the audio in the HDMI port in this model is not available. I know this because I searched for it before I bought my own HDMI cable.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All Intell Macs have optical audio out. The port is shared with the headphone port. You need a mini-Toslink cable plugged in to it for it to show up in Mac OS X. Macs that have a line-in port, also have optical audio in via a mini-Toslink cable in the line-in port.