Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I have a 2008 MB that i'm running MXlinux on and it ran fine until I put it away for a while. Maybe 1.5 years. It has a known good low cycle count Apple battery. Issue is, it won't charge. Any ideas on how to correct this.
Thanks

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The battery may be flat and might need to be replaced. I haven't run Linux for years so I don't know if there is a battery checking app that you can test the battery with. Perhaps someone else might know.

Since it's very easy to swap out the battery in a 2008 MacBook, you might want to check eBay to see if they have one at a reasonable price.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The MacBook 4,1 batteries on Ebay/Amazon/etc. are hit and miss. They'll probably work but you could get a dud. The plastic is probably going to be sub-par…the color not matching, the fit not great and the flange might even come chipped.

That being said, $25-$30 isn't a huge risk.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The MacBook 4,1 batteries on Ebay/Amazon/etc. are hit and miss.
I'm batting .500 with the last two MacBook4,1 batteries I bought. The first one was bulging right out of the box. The second one was decent (but not as good as the original).

I'm not going to bother posting brand names because it seems these 3rd party brands on Amazon come and go.

That being said, $25-$30 isn't a huge risk.
Yup. Plus Amazon has a great return policy.

kibepo73

Suspended
Jun 2, 2022
If your MacBook is not charging then it might be due to a simple issue like improper connection, or it could be due to a complex problem like wrong power settings in SMC. At first, you can try the below quick fixes to resolve the issue:

1. Check if the MacBook’s power adapter is properly attached to the power source and MacBook's charging port. Remove it once and re-attach it.
2. The MacBook adapter has three parts: Adapter, removable plug, and cable. Detach everything & clean, if there is any carbon deposit, it will get cleaned.
3. Check the adapter and cable for any physical damage.
4. Make sure that you are using the right charger compatible with your MacBook. Every MacBook model requires its specific charging adapter; else, it won't charge.
5. Make sure your adapter isn't overheating. If the adapter overheats, your Mac will shut the power intake until the adapter cools off.
6. Check the charging port on your MacBook and ensure that there is no dust or dirt in it.

Hope the above fixes will resolve the problem and make your MacBook charge normally. If not, then try the below methods to fix any software-related issue:

1. Check the battery of your MacBook.
2. Reset SMC.
3. Update or Reinstall macOS.

Hope the above methods and solutions will help you resolve the issue!

Reactions: kge420

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'm batting .500 with the last two MacBook4,1 batteries I bought. The first one was bulging right out of the box. The second one was decent (but not as good as the original).
After over 4 years, the second battery started to bulge. I don’t use the computer anymore so that may have contributed to its deterioration.

I’ve now discarded the battery so this white MacBook 2008 has no battery at all. Since I don’t use this Mac anymore I don’t see the point in getting another battery, but it seems a shame to leave this machine completely battery-less.

kge420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
If your MacBook is not charging then it might be due to a simple issue like improper connection, or it could be due to a complex problem like wrong power settings in SMC. At first, you can try the below quick fixes to resolve the issue:

1. Check if the MacBook’s power adapter is properly attached to the power source and MacBook's charging port. Remove it once and re-attach it.
2. The MacBook adapter has three parts: Adapter, removable plug, and cable. Detach everything & clean, if there is any carbon deposit, it will get cleaned.
3. Check the adapter and cable for any physical damage.
4. Make sure that you are using the right charger compatible with your MacBook. Every MacBook model requires its specific charging adapter; else, it won't charge.
5. Make sure your adapter isn't overheating. If the adapter overheats, your Mac will shut the power intake until the adapter cools off.
6. Check the charging port on your MacBook and ensure that there is no dust or dirt in it.

Hope the above fixes will resolve the problem and make your MacBook charge normally. If not, then try the below methods to fix any software-related issue:

1. Check the battery of your MacBook.
2. Reset SMC.
3. Update or Reinstall macOS.

Hope the above methods and solutions will help you resolve the issue!
I’ll give it another going over. Thanks for the suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.