2008 MacBook crashes when moved

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hafruit, Jul 27, 2011.

1. hafruit macrumors member

Mar 7, 2009
    I knocked my MacBook a little and the screen suddenly went like this:

[​IMG]Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

not sure quite how to describe it to find out if anyone else has had this problem.

I held the button down to power off and then turned it on again, which worked fine until I moved the MacBook slightly, and the same thing happened but its powered on again fine (if maybe slightly slower).

I installed Lion when it came out but I've not had any other problems. I also replaced some ram about a month ago.

Can anyone help tell me whats wrong?
  2. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    This usually means a bad connection between the video card and the screen, or something else wrong with the video card. You can check if it is the card or the screen by connecting an external screen and see if it appear normally. This might fall under the existing video card issues that they extended the warranties to cover, but I couldn't say for sure. You might want to take it to an Apple Store or authorized repair facility to find out.

3. hafruit thread starter macrumors member

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks a lot, I'll try plugging it into an external screen when I get chance. I've moved it around a bit including closing the lid and moving it since originally posting and its been fine so far.

Hope it isn't too expensive to fix if I have to as its out of warranty.