2008 Macbook internet connectivity issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carutamakinara, Jul 23, 2010.

1. carutamakinara macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

Recently I've been having difficulty with some aspects of internet on my macbook. Initially I've found certain sites will not initiate downloads, (download page redirects but fail to initiate, control click - save seems to solve this problem, however remains frustrating) Also more recently I've found that I cannot download the new version of itunes off of apples website (due to the same problem, they don't have a direct link) When I tried to use software update from the :apple: menu I was met with a similar problem. Internet is connected and seemingly working fine but apple update fails to run, (Software Update cannot check for updates because of a network problem) network diagnostics fail to determine any problem, after power cycling both modem (dynalink) and wireless router (linksys) and calling isp who claims connection is solid with no problems. Am stumped. Curious if any of you have encountered similar problem. Any help apprecaited, thanks.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I've experienced the same problem on my late 2009 macbook probably twice, but just a bit different. Although I had a seemingly good internet connection, I would try to load a random website and it wouldn't work. I ended up resetting my wireless router and restarting my macbook, and then it worked just fine. But, if your machine won't download software without a direct link, it seems to me like it may be a firewall thing...check your wireless settings and post back.

3. waytallwhitey macrumors newbie

I'm having some connectivity issues myself. I am currently in Korea, a country known for it's fast internet connection and I can't be on Skype without dropping the call. I have wired connection in my hotel and I did a speed test on speedtest.net and my number are:

download speed .42 mbs
    upload speed 1.93 mbs

My next door neighbor also has a Macbook Pro and his numbers are:

download 30.44
    upload 49.88

Obviously there is a problem somewhere! Any help would be greatly appreciated since Skype is my best connection to home!

Thanks!

4. carutamakinara thread starter macrumors newbie

little snitch to blame for skype issue, gmail video chat still not functioning, suspect firefox at fault with reluctant downloads.