2008 Macbook plastic cracking

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by clactonlad, Apr 4, 2011.

1. clactonlad macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have an early 2008 white Macbook and the plastic on the right hand side of the track pad has started to crack as well as on the bottom of the laptop near the hinge of the monitor. What are my options to get this repaired? Has anyone else had this type of repair and if so, how much does it cost and how long does it take (I live in Kingston, Ontario and my nearest Apple stores are either a 2 hour drive to Ottawa or a 2.30-3 hour drive to Toronto)?

Thanks!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Apple will replace it for free. Search around (or even look around, there's more than one thread dealing with this on the 1st page of this sub-forum).

3. clactonlad thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to update this and let others no of my experience.

As i said in the op, i live quite a distance from any of the Apple stores. So i looked around the city and there were a couple of official Apple authorized re-sellers and repair centres.

I sent an email to one explaining my situation, to which they responded within the hour and said about Apple having an extended warranty on this issue. They requested the serial number of my MB so they could check the status of my warranty. I expected them to reply back and say i was SOL as I have had the laptop for just over 3 years (Around Feb 08) but much to my surprise they emailed back and said I was still covered. They said they would have the part from Apple by tomorrow morning, so drop it off tomorrow afternoon and they would fix me up! So i dropped it off this afternoon and went back a couple of hours later and they had repaired the top cover (and also have a more up to date keyboard as my old one had the upside down L enter key and my alt button didn't have option written on it before) They also replaced the the bezel around my monitor as well.

All of this was done for free. Truly truly awesome! So basically i recommend to anyone who has this issue and is not close to an Apple store, search your local area and see if there are any authorized dealers/ re-pair centres as they may be able to help you out.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Thanks for that man; my black MacBook is having the same problems, slight cracking around the bottom right ridge where the top faceplate meets the edge. I'll probably call the Apple store when I go home for the summer and see what they can do for me.

Right now the closest store is over 2 hours away... and I don't have a car up here :/