Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
A friend of mine has asked me to take a look at his MBP that won't currently boot. All he really wants me to do is recover the data from the internal hard drive but I'm going to try and get it to boot first.

When the MBP is powered on, it powers up but gets stuck at the apple logo loading animation. If I hold alt it will boot in to recovery. I have tried verifying permissions, repairing permissions, verify disk and repair disk but it still won't boot. I'm have just booted in to recovery and opened disk utility in the hope that I can copy the internal drive to an external HD but it's estimating it will take 1 day, 5 hours!

My last resort will be to dismantle the MBP and remove the internal HD and put it in an enclosure but I want to avoid that if at all possible.

Any ideas on what I can do to get it to boot? Or anyway I can speed up the copy process?

Thanks in advance

Boomer

tylamb19

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2014
I have seen this before... The computer's hard drive is dying. No getting around that. I would suggest recovering data as soon as possible (even if that means waiting for the copying to finish). There's nothing you can do to allow the machine to boot fully, and even if you did, the drive is teetering on the absolute brink of complete failure.

TL;DR: Hard drive is dead. Steps to follow: 1: Get the data off ASAP. 2: Replace hard drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.